Chapter 3 Shifting Battle

The battle had grown intense; an ever-closer defeat causes madness to my fellow infantry. I saw a comrade charging at the William spear in hand, ready to strike. I quickly stabbed a scraggy bearded Norman covering my face with his still warm blood. Scalding my face with invisible scars. I through one of my swords using all my strength and ability sending it straight through his back killing him stone dead. It was not the right of infantry to kill royalty; the gods would not allow it. The future King looked at me with his beady brown eyes before removing his beautifully crafted golden Helmet and dismounting his white stallion. Battle resumed but we only had eyes for each other, I heaved my sword out the dead man as I walked past hearing his spinal chord crack before putting it back on my back while still having one in hand.

We were then within meters of each other and he said “You saved me just now why?” he asked in a questionable manner with an annoying French accent.

I replied with my honor in tact “this fight was for one not of my own, with no cause I had no motivation but royal blood shall only be spilled by royal doing or by the wrath of the gods”

“This is however for your homeland though my friend” he said

I replied, “Maybe my lord but we are all slaves in a tortuous world”

“You may call me William and for your great act I will spare your life and establish you as my captain”

“You will never understand …my lord, I am a man of simple taste and simple doing, my father was such a captain and his father before him, the army does not play dividends for me”

“Wise far above you years but what is your name young man” he said

“My name is James Leonidus, son of Owen, son of Anne and his own man, when this battle is over I will wear no badge, no colours but my own”.

“You shall dine with me tonight James’ enjoy the riches of a King as my victory becomes close”

I replied,  “Maybe you should dine with me my lord, the dinner of a beggar”

He laughed and said “your bark isn’t half as bad as your bite, come with me James, enjoy the extent of my riches”

“I cannot reject you…my lord but I have a woman I wish to wed waiting for me, I have waited many turns of the night to view her beauty once again” I replied

“Then we should go there at once with haste” They will take some time to surrender the throne to me.

“My lord?” I asked

“You need a witness and who better then the soon to be King of England, King Harold has fell in battle and I owe you my life so let go my friend”

“Just you and me?” I said

“Let me change into something a bit more unnoticeable” he said

“Why would you trust me?” I asked

“Because you are a hero of men, a man of honor, a man I hope I can soon call friend,” he said. Then an hour later we were off, the king and me horseback towards Greenharlow. It all seemed surreal. We began the day as enemies on the opposite side of the battlefield but now we had become allies, maybe even a friend…I had not had a friend for many years since my mother died of Spanish flu. My father was never the same; a powerful warrior drove to the point of insanity before taking his own life.  Before nightfall we had arrived back with Jane, the woman of my dreams.