S e v e n t e e n

Christmas came and went, leaving me to wonder about the Ball. I had so much fun, even though Harry was a better dancer than me, which he didn't believe to be possible.

The two of us ate, laughed, danced, and talked with each other, like a majority of others were doing. But, there was just one thing that left me in a complete daze.

Flashback...

"I had a wonderful time tonight, Harry. I'm glad I spent it with you." I told my raven-haired friend, blushing. The two of us were walking to the Slytherin common room together, since Harry didn't want me to leave by myself.

"I had a great time too. I wish we could do this every year, minus the Triwizard Tournaments of course." He replied.

"Wouldn't that be nice? But, from what I've seen, there will never be a normal year here at Hogwarts."

"Nope, never,"

That was when we arrived at the entrance to the Slytherin common room. Harry turned to me, and gave me a friendly smile, a light blush painting its way across his face.

"Y-You looked beautiful tonight, by the way. I've been meaning to tell you that."

Just before I could respond, he hurried off, leaving me standing there, red-faced, breathless, and confused.

Present...

I still didn't know whether or not he was just complimenting me, so I didn't feel like I dressed up for nothing, or if he actually thought I looked beautiful.

Anyway, as I walked to the Great Hall for breakfast, I spotted Malfoy leaning against a wall, staring down at his feet.

"What's got your boxers in a knot? Or do you wear those tighty whities?" I asked, raising my eyebrows at him.

"So, you wanna know what kind of underwear I have on? Probably wondering which type would be easier for you to get off of me, aren't you?" He taunted, looking up at me.

I grimaced, and kicked him hard in the shin. "You're disgusting!"

"Why are you talking to me, then?"

"Because, I want to know why you admitted to Harry what you did." I told him.

"I was hoping I'd get something in return." He said, wiggling his eyebrows.

I kicked him again, harder this time. "Enough with your foul mouth! What's the real reason?"

"Fine, fine. I did it because I didn't want to have to keep thinking of you all alone, fussing and whining like the baby you are. Happy?"

"So, you felt bad?" I teased, smirking. 

"Wha--? No! How could I feel bad for someone like you?"

"Say you felt bad, and I'll keep my mouth shut."

"About what?"

"You being a pervert."

"Whatever. I felt bad for you, okay?"

"That's all I wanted to hear."

>>>

It felt as though I had just fallen asleep that night, when I felt someone violently shaking me. "Go away," I grumbled, still half-asleep.

"Violet, it's really important, come on!" The person hissed.

"Harry?" I gasped, rolling onto my back to look at him.

"Get up, hurry!" He whispered urgently.

"What are you doing in here? If the other girls find out, they'll never get off my back about it!"

"Then come on before they do!"

The green-eyed boy grabbed my golden egg from the bedside table with one hand, while pulling me out of bed with the other.

I yawned, resisting the urge to dig my feet into the floor, while Harry pulled me from the Slytherin common room.

"Where are we going?" I asked, as he dragged me through the corridors.

"Shush, we'll be there soon." He responded.

We continued walking towards wherever Harry was trying to take me. We turned sharp corners, and even snuck past Filch.

But, I was quite shocked when Harry burst through a door, leading us into the Prefects' bathroom.

The very large bathtub was full of water, and overflowing with bubbles.

"Ta da!" He exclaimed.

"Are you trying to tell me I stink?" I demanded, pulling my fist back to punch him in the arm. I'm not so much of a sunshine when I first wake up.

"No! I've figured out the egg!"

"So the next task will be held in the Prefects' bathtub?" I asked.

"Oh, come here!" He said, irritably, pulling me towards the tub. "Now, what I want you to do, is open the egg under the water, and dunk your head in, alright?"

"Harry, this doesn't sound right. What are you trying to do?" I inquired, cautiously.

"I'm trying to help you! The egg has a message that can only be heard underwater!"

"Why can't you just tell me the message?"

With a simple roll of his eyes, Harry shoved the egg under the water and unlatched it. Then, he grabbed the back of my neck, and pushed my head under as well.

At first, I struggled against him, but stopped when I heard the egg singing.

'Come seek us where our voices sound

We cannot sing above the ground

An hour long you'll have to look
To recover what we took

An hour long you'll have to look
To recover what we took
Your time's half-gone, so tarry not
Lest what you seek stays here to rot.'

Harry pulled me up just in time, allowing me to turn, and glare at him. "You idiot!" I fumed, pushing him backwards.

"It was the only way you'd listen! Did you actually think I'd hurt you?" He asked, putting his hands up in surrender.

"Well, when someone forces your head underwater so a golden egg can deliver a message to you, yes, yes I did!"

"Did you get the message?" 

"Yeah, I got the message alright."

I looked away from him, my wet hair falling into my face. Then, I felt his warm hand on my cheek, making me look at him.

"Violet, I would never hurt you. You're one of my closest friends. I'm sorry that I scared you." He said, pushing my wet locks of hair behind my ears. 

I sighed, and closed my eyes. "It's okay, I was just being a big baby. Thanks for helping me out."

"No problem. We'll talk tomorrow. But, for now, I think we both need rest. I'll walk you back to your common room."

With that, the two of us left the bathroom, and walked back to the dungeons.