F o u r t e e n

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the--" Professor McGonagall began, as we sat in her newly arranged classroom. Desks and chairs had been moved to each side of the room, leaving the middle completely clear, except for the record player, which Mr. Filch was loudly trying to prepare. 

"Triwizard Tournaments," McGonagall continued, sending a glare to Filch. "Since it is in session, on Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because, the Yule Ball is first and foremost: a dance."

The room began buzzing with chatter at an instant. Hermione only looked at me excitedly, while I plastered a fake grin on my face. I was already dreading the Ball.

"Silence!" The room quickly got quiet. "The House of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the Wizarding World for nearly 10 centuries. I will not have you, in the course of an evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling bumbling band of baboons!"

I giggled quietly, and turned to Hermione. "Try saying that 10 times fast."

She scowled at me, hitting my arm, before both of us turned our attention back to Professor McGonagall.

"--to dance, is to let the body breath! Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst forward, and take flight!"

I grimaced, feeling my face heat up, as the boys snickered.

Hearing this, Professor McGonagall turned, and sent them a threatening look. "And inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley," 

She walked straight over to Ron, who looked up at her, sheepishly. "Yes?"

"Would you join me, please?"

Hermione and I silently began laughing, as they moved to the center of the room.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist," Professor McGonagall instructed the redhead. I began laughing harder, as his face went pink.

"Where?" He whispered, clearly nervous.

"My waist," She repeated sternly.

He did so, earning a wolf-whistle from me. He sent me a glare, but I only returned an innocent wave.

Mr. Filch started the music, and then, the two of them began to dance. "One, two, three. One, two, three." Professor McGonagall repeated over and over, smiling softly. "Come together now!"

All of the girls jumped up, while I hesitantly got to my feet. The boys were groaning, and rolling their eyes.

Neville Longbottom was the first to stand. Soon enough, the rest of the boys followed him in suit. 

One by one, girls were asked to dance, and swept onto the dance floor. I stood nervously off to the side, watching as Hermione and Ron made a failed attempt to dance together.

"Wanna dance?" Malfoy asked, coming up beside me. 

"Are you feeling alright?" I replied, frowning at him.

"Will you just shut up and dance with me, Austing?"

"Nope, not until you ask nicely."

"Will you please dance with me?" He scowled.

"That's better."

The blonde boy took my waist, while I put my hands on his shoulders. "Can you dance?" He asked me.

"Nope. Can you dance?" I responded.

"My mother made me take ball dancing lessons when I was young." 

"You didn't answer my question."

"Maybe this will,"

He swung me around, and twirled me. Then, he placed his hand on the small of my back, allowing me to lean backwards, with only his hand and my heels keeping me off the ground. 

"Impressive, blondie." I said, as he let me go.

"Not so bad for someone who can't dance. By the way, I'm already thinking of a girl to ask to the Ball, so don't bother asking." He answered, raising his eyebrows.

"Trust me, I wouldn't dream of it."

"Good,"

>>>

"Oh, honestly, Harry! I don't see why you're so upset!" I heard Hermione exclaim, as the I approached the trio at lunch.

"Because she was with Malfoy!" Harry replied, putting his head in his hands.

"Who was with Malfoy?" I asked, sitting beside him.

"No one." Ron covered up, quickly.

"Then why is Harry upset?" I inquired, looking at my raven-haired friend.

"I'm not upset, I'm just stressed out, is all." Harry told me.

"About what?"

"It doesn't matter. Anyway, did you open your egg yet?" He said.

"Unfortunately, I did. My ears are still ringing." I joked, causing him to smile weakly.

"Yeah, same here."

That was when Hermione spoke up. "Have you gotten a date to the Ball yet?" She asked.

"Of course not. Malfoy already warned me that he was asking someone else, so I guess I have no one." I replied, sarcasm lacing my every word.

"Why would he do that?"

"He probably thinks I have a crush on him or something. But, to be honest, I feel the complete opposite way. I can't say that I hate him, as hate is a very strong word, and I don't feel very strongly about him. But, I can say that I despise him."

The brilliant witch looked at Harry, giving him an 'I-Told-You-So' face. He only rolled his eyes, looking back down at his plate.

"Is there something I'm not getting?" I asked.

"Nope, nothing at all," Ron answered.