FOUR

"This is not romantic." Linus looked around the dark forest. "Kind of spooky, in fact."

"It's Halloween," Chad chuckled and squeezed his hand. "It's supposed to be spooky. They say things from beyond the veil of life and death can take on fleshly bodies during All Hallows Eve." He grinned darkly and nibbled Linus on the neck.

"Now, if I thought you were silly enough to believe that," Linus said. "I'd have to seriously reconsider the intelligence of my husband."

Chad shrugged and smiled. "You never know what's just beyond that veil."

"I'd like to think heaven is on the other side."

"Oh, no doubt," Chad nodded. "But maybe there's other places, too."

Linus looked at him, eyebrow cocked. "Like...hell?"

"That, too," Chad confirmed. "One never knows what else, though. I believe people have seen real ghosts, so what realm do they exist in?"

Clearing his throat, Linus pushed closer to Chad. "Can we talk about something else?" he mumbled anxiously.

"You're not afraid, are you?" Chad teased and pulled Linus into his arms, kissing him on the mouth. "You know I'll protect you." He laughed and walked Linus backwards down the path, holding onto him. "From Ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night." Linus laughed when Chad ravaged his neck. "But not from the things that go hump in the night." He bumped their crotches and grinned as he kissed him firmly on the lips.

Linus shook his head. "For a Christian boy, you can be kind of naughty."

"It's allowed," Chad murmured through another kiss. "As long as I'm being naughty with my husband."

"Interesting." Linus untangled himself from Chad's arms and backed away down the path, a flirty smile on his face. "How naughty are you allowed to be with your husband?"

Chad advanced on him. "As naughty as I want to be."

"And how naughty is that?" Linus grinned, taking calculated steps as he cast quick glances behind him.

"Very naughty."

"Prove it."

"If you insist." Chad rushed forward and Linus spun around and ran down the path, forcing him to give chase. Chad held the flashlight and the beam of light bobbed and weaved past Linus, bouncing off the tree trunks and frozen ground.

Laughter burst from Linus as he put distance between them. "Run, run, as fast you can!" he panted loudly as he ducked into a shrouded side path they both knew quite well, and disappeared from Chad's sight. Linus' voice echoed back to him. "If you can't catch me, nobody can!"

Following his husband, Chad cut into the tunnel of thick shrubbery and tree limbs. "Linus, wait up!" he laughed. All was silent. Chad slowed and paused just before emerging from the covered path. "Linus?" He directed the flashlight ahead of him, his heart suddenly pounding with fear as he realized how close they were to the ravine and the old bridge. "Linus! Where are you?" He moved forward in a hurry and burst out of the tunnel. "Linus-"

"Boo!" Linus tackled him, laughing.

"Fuck!" Chad tumbled to the ground beneath him, heart racing wildly.

Linus straddled his body and eyed him, a smirk on his face. "Uumm. You said a bad word." His lips tightened then spread into an amused grin.