Chapter 1 - Meeting Him

Heya, I bet your wondering who I am and what the heck is going on. Well, I'll do just what you ask. I'm Penelope Verner, a sixteen years old girl, and I attend Rickson High school. I have a few friends but it's hard to make them because of my severe shyness. But that's okay, I know I have a best friend I can count on. Her name is Lydia, and she's been my best friend for as long as I can remember. I'm also really into art, it is my passion! I think I'm okay at it but Lydia says otherwise. Apparently I'm really good but I don't know, there's plenty of things that I do wrong, and just me in general. Like the fact that I'm, basically a werewolf ... cat.
I'm a werecat, yeah. I transform into a purple cat that's two sizes of a real cat, and it happens eight times a month, at dusk. Honestly, I'm not scared of this, 'gift' you could say, but I do have mixed feelings about it. When I'm Penny, that's the name I gave myself when I'm in Feline Form, I feel limitless, free, nothing holding me back. But it only lasts for a night. But then again, I can change into my FF whenever I please, but only for a few minutes at most and not everyone likes cats. That's the only drawback to my gift.
But when I'm in Human Form, I have to deal with school and Julia Kennady. She bullies me nonstop, and I don't fight back because I don't have the guts. But boy do I wish I did. I despise her. She's so self absorbed and crazy popular, but I haven't the slightest idea why. Not many people like her but her 'friends', or minions you could say. But she has a lot of friends who side with her so I guess thats why? She's just, so narcissistic it's unbearable, and she has the decency to talk to the guy I like, Bennet. He's popular too, with lots of friends that like Julia's pack of so called friends.
I guess I can't complain though, no one knows I like him, not even Lydia. But I wish he would notice me, but I'm quiet and shy, so why would he? It's not like I have any classes with him anyway. Had enough yet? If not, then continue.
This is my story.

~

I blinked my eyes open as my alarm blared to life, making me groan. I didn't want to go to school today, yesterday was too much of a painful memory. I had got so caught in homework that I stayed up until two just to end up not getting all of it done anyway. And earlier before that, Julia had cornered me again, telling me to go look in the mirror, asking me why I had borrowed Satan's face for a day. I had held a straight face, not letting the tears come, bu that didn't stop the feeling of my heavy heart, dropping into my stomach. Sometimes I wonder if Julia even has a heart of her own, her actions clearly showing otherwise.
Swinging my legs over my bedside, I rubbed my eyes and got up, stretching my aching limbs. Searching my closet, I picked out a floral blouse with black skinny jeans, topping it off with a lime green cardigan. Satisfied, I smiled and walked into the hall, taking a deep breath of air. Today was going to be great, I could feel it. Continuing on, I flicked on the light to the bathroom and plugged in my wand and brushed out my hair while it heated up. Parting my hair just above my ears, I pulled my violet-tipped, chocolate brown locks up into a bun and, spraying in some products, began curling my hair. Once I was satisfied with my beach waves which I had got done in only a short fifteen minutes, I went to applying my mascara. Curling my eyelashes in strong, wing-like shapes, I finished. Going back into my room, I searched through my accessories and picked out some silver earings which dangled below my earlobes. Finally ready to the brim, I grasped my plaid backpack, which was more like a large purse considering how low it went and had only one strap, and pranced into the kitchen. Preparing myself some eggs and toast, I ate my fill and quickly made my lunch. Saying goodbye to my mom and dad, I shoved my keys into the ignition of my maroon Honda Accord, and rolled out of my driveway, making my way to school.

I walked into my first period anxiously, my eyes scanning the room to see if Julia had yet arrived. My prayers were answered as I noticed her seat was vacant, and let out a breath of relief as I hurried to my desk in the back row.
Getting out my binder and sketch book since I was a few minutes early to class, I flipped to what I was currently working on; a half-done sketch of a wolf, it's eyes huge and as deep as oceans. Grabbing my drawing pencils, I got to work.
Time went by way too fast and the bell rang. My heart leaping into my throat, I quickly grabbed my pencils and was about to shut my sketch book when a finely nailed hand slammed onto the canvas, preventing me from shutting the book.
Julia's eyebrows slanted, a smirk playing across her makeup-caked face. "Oh Panelope, what a nice picture. Your really talented." She said, her voice full of fake appreciation. I didn't answer, not falling for her trick. "No seriously Penelope, you have a true gift that needs to be shared to the world beyond your own little mixed up universe." I stayed mute, waiting for her to remove her hand. She scowled at me. "Penelope, sweety, when I compliment you, you'd better be grateful that your being praised by moi, I'm simply trying to save your reputation."
I don't know what happened to my control, but I gave in. "Really? Do you honestly think people will appreciate my art?" I asked timidly, twirling a peice of my hair absentmindedly.
She showed her teeth at the corner of her mouth and I realized my mistake. "Oh yes. Here, let me take that off your hands and show it to the 'world'." She used air quotes then wrapped her fingers around the edge and pulled.
I reached out as she ripped the page from my book. "No, wait!" I exclaimed, as the paper tore down the middle of the canvas, saving the head of the wolf, but cutting off the shoulders and collar bone area. I watched as she held the picture up to her field of vision, her finger on her chin with a pout on her face.
"You know, it could do with some color, why don't I help you with that?" She added silkily, reaching for my pencil pouch. I snatched it away before she could grab it. Her eyes flicked to mine as her fingers closed around empty air. She fixed me with a murderous glare.
"Penelope darling, I'm trying to help you get famous, so don't take things from me sweety." She advised, the hint of a threat carefully laced into her smooth reply.
I took a deep breath. "Julia, please give me back my drawing." I requested quietly.
She raised a brow. "Oh, but Penelope, you turned down my advice so I think I should deserve this piece." My jaw dropped open as she took a step back, her eyes alight. "Thank you, I do so appreciate it." She narrowed her eyes and smiled, her hand closing around the edges. With one easy gesture, she crumpled the paper, took a deep bow and skipped to the front of class, dropping the ball of precious artwork into the trash bin. Walking back to her desk with the strut of a catwalker, she sat down as Ms. Leanna eyed her from the front of the classroom.
"Miss Kennady, what was that that you threw in the trash just now? Did it belong to Penelope?" She asked quizzically, raising her eyebrows.
"Yes, it did belong to Penelope, but I was just simply throwing it away for her, Ms. Leanna. Nothing more, right Penelope?" She said, looking back at me with an icy glare, daring me to tell Ms. Leanna what really happened. None of my classmates stood at my side, just watched absently minded as I nodded slowly, feeling my eyes water but quickly blinking away the tears.
Ms. Leanna immediately straightened, dubbing the conversation over. "Alright class, time for notes on Cell history." With that remark, she walked over to the doorway and flipped off the lights, exposing the room to darkness. I groaned as the first slide popped onto the projector. Never mind, this may not be as great a day as I earlier assumed. Getting out notepaper, I began jotting down notes.