G E N E S I S | 24

1STDECEMBER 2065

2DAYS LEFT

The rain made ‘pit-pat’ sounds as it clashed and collided against the roof, drizzling down from the angry rain clouds above. Watching silently as I sipped my beer, I got lost in my thoughts whilst studying a few droplets of rain competing against each other as they slid down the glass window of the low classed pub that I was currently in.

But for people like them, this was as best as it got.

It was an old place, it was, not somewhere you would find with the upper class people. They wouldn’t be caught dead in a place like this. And that was probably the only best thing about living where we lived; so that we wouldn’t have to see those upper classed snobs all the time.

The prison was a safe haven for us, even if some of us didn’t know it or agree with it.

The place was old and the door was creaking as it opened and closed. Some of the chairs were wobbly and the table had knife marks, doodles, some profanities and many other things engraved into them, but the place was hygienic.

It was probably the best place that people like us had, and Paul sure did a good job in keeping the place going. I guess the only reason why it wasn’t shut down was because if it were, then the Unimproved wouldn’t have anywhere else to go, and the Improved would live in fear that we would wreak havoc everywhere; which we probably would.

A group of men cheered nearby as they played some pool while ordering drinks which Paul delivered from behind the bar. Women sat and gossiped at a couple of tables while others watched the football from the cheap TV that hung from overhead, attached to the ceiling with a bunch of wires and a holder. 

There were also a few children and teenagers in here along with their parents and other family members, joining in on the pool games or the gossip while the younger ones played games of their own, running around the whole place, chasing each other.

This was the one place in town where people like us, the Unimproved, were able to just sit around and be happy. There were no worries of discrimination or mocking as everyone here was the same; we were all Unimproved. We were all equal.

But outside of this pub, even in our own part of the town, it was a whole different matter. The Unimproved were vulnerable out there as the Improved look down upon them as they walked past. Even in the confined space that they gave us to live, a small part of the huge city; it was sad, miserable, and forever gloomy.

There were always Improved officers walking the surrounding, hounding the people for the smallest of things, looking for any excuse to give us a hard time. They taunted women and insulted men, shoving past children violently, not caring at all.

People cowered away in their houses whenever the Improved came to visit or tend to matters in fear that something bad would take place, which would mean that punishments would be handed out like sweets.

 Not that anyone here could afford much seeing as the Improved made sure the prices were kept ridiculously high, and also made sure that very few of us were given jobs. The Unimproved were given the low classed jobs which the Improved believed them to be better than such as farming, cleaning out stables, mining and factory jobs.

Very few Unimproved managed to climb the social ladder to a respectable position like a teaching job or even a sales assistant, and there they had to work amongst the Improved so I guess you can imagine what that would be like.

You see, they were the puppeteers and we were their measly puppets who danced to their every whim.

It was hard enough living with all the emotional and physical torment and suffering that they put us through, but what was even harder was knowing that they had a hold on us, they had power of us. The Improved ran the government and the city; they ran the banks and the businesses; they had all the power, and that’s a constant thought that angers me and many more people who are like me.