Chapter 16

"What made you change your mind?" I asked, wiping away my tears with the sleeve of my shirt.

He shrugged. "After you left the hospital, my mom made me realize that I couldn't just let you do this by yourself. I guess you can thank her," he cracked a little smile that barely lasted a second then looked down at his hands. "I believed you when you told me they were mine. I guess I just thought that if I denied it, it would make everything just go away," he avoided my eyes and let out a huge breath. "But I was wrong,"

Another silence fell between us. It was awkward and I wasn't sure what to say.

What do you say to the father of your children when you haven't even seen him in years?

"Can you tell me about them?" He asked suddenly, catching me off guard.

"Well," where the hell do I start? "Um. They were born on December twenty first. They were a month early so they were kind of tiny. Mason came first and he was six pounds and Emmi came eight minutes later and was only five pounds," I paused to make sure he was still listening and then continued when I found him listening intently. "Mason is very outgoing. He likes to talk to anyone," I laughed a little, thinking back to when Mason had just learned to talk. We would go to the store and he would sit in the cart and say hi to every single person that walked by. It was the cutest thing. "Emmi's a little more shy. She likes to hide behind me a lot. I think that's partially why I was so shocked that she took to you so well,"

"She looks like you," he stated. I didn't say anything, instead I just nodded my head in agreement.

"And Mason looks like you," I mumbled after a while. I looked down at my hands and began to pick at the horrible, left over nail polish on them.

Why the hell was this conversation so awkward?

There was another long pause, but it was soon interrupted by the obnoxious ringing of Chase's phone. The noise made him jump and I held back an amused smile as he shuffled around with his coat to retrieve his phone.

Once he finally found it, he pressed the green answer button and brought it to his ear.

"Hello?"

As soon as the word left his mouth, I could hear the high pitched voice of a women screaming at him on the other end. I couldn't make out the words, but whoever it was, was pissed beyond belief.

Chase let out a frustrated sigh and ran a hand across his face.

"I'm sorry. I forgot," he said glancing over to me. "I'll be there soon, okay?" There was a little more shouting before the line went dead and Chase took the phone away from his ear. He slipped the phone back into his pocket and looked back up to me. "That was a...friend. I was supposed to go to some party thing that I completely forgot about,"

"I understand. You go. We can talk another time," I said, with a small smile. He stood up and I followed suit, walking towards the front door.

Before walking out, he turned to me.

"I have to go on a trip tomorrow. It'll be for about a week, but when I get back do you think I could maybe visit you and the twins? I would really like to get to know them. You know? When they're not sleeping and sick," he said, laughing a little at the end.

I couldn't help the smile that came to my lips. This is what I had always wanted. For my children to finally have a father.