Chapter 13 ~ Our Wal-Mart Food Run

For the next several days, we stayed traveling - only stopping for supplies and to kill walkers that were blocking our path. Owen and I were inseparable. He taught me different ways to protect myself and in turn, I helped him open up more. He was kind although no one knew it. He hid that part of himself from his Wolves, not wanting them to think less of him. He thought it made him weak.

And I guess, in a cruel world like we live in now...it was. But he was himself when he was around me. He didn't have to hide behind a mask for my sake. I smiled as I watched him and the other Wolves disappear down one of the aisles through the smudged window of Wal-Mart. Even though I was very capable of taking care of myself, he'd insisted I be the lookout in case anyone tried to steal the trucks. I'd agreed graciously, if only to save myself from the teasing of the others.

They weren't completely accepting of Owen and me. I had hoped that that would change but even after a week, they still didn't like me. I rolled my eyes at the thought. Why was I even thinking about this? I didn't care what their opinion of me was. I only cared about what Owen thought.

Trudging over to the back of the truck which had been left open, I hopped up onto the vehicle and sat on the tailgate. I swung my legs back and forth aimlessly as I waited on them. My fingers ran along the side of my ripped-up jeans until I found the key-chain I'd attached to my belt-loops. I smiled and turned it over and over in my hands. It was an angel wing paired with the letter 'A' that stood for my name. My mom had given it to me for my 14th birthday.

At the time, she told me it stood for my father because I was named after his "Angel Wings". Whatever that meant, I thought to myself as I rolled my eyes. Suddenly, a cold hand clamped onto my arm and I shrieked, instantly letting go of the key-chain. Glancing to my right, I saw what had seized me - a walker. By the looks of it, it was a former employee. I quickly grabbed my gun and pushed the trigger down.

A loud shot rang out in the parking lot and the walker's head burst open, splattering bits of blood and brain all over the pavement as he went down. I let out a breath, briefly closing my eyes before leaning my head against the side of the truck. Thank goodness Owen had left one of the guns with me. Just as I was about to relax, the sounds of distant moans reached my ears. Drat! The gun must have alerted them to my presence. Jumping off the back of the truck, I ran to the entrance of the store.

My Converse sneakers squeaked loudly as I sprinted across the tile, the angel wing key-chain swinging back and forth on my jeans. I rounded the corner and raced through the cleaning aisle. My hand held onto the gun firmly. I couldn't afford to lose it since I didn't know how many walkers were still roaming around in here that the Wolves hadn't killed yet. As I turned yet another corner, the hem of my Melanie Martinez 'Crybaby' t-shirt got caught on one of the shelf's hooks. I cursed under my breath.

"This used to be new." I muttered to myself as I yanked it free, ripping a small hole in the bottom of it.

I darted through the rest of the store, dodging the debris that was scattered across the floor of the building. Finally, I came upon the group. Owen and two other men were loading cans of food into a buggy. His head shot up when he saw me standing there and he smiled.

"Lookouts are so unreliable these days," he joked, handing a can of tuna to one of the others.

The smile melted off his face when he noticed my serious expression.

"What's wrong?" he asked, instantly alert.

"Walkers. I don't know how many but from the sounds of it, it's more than we can handle," I told him.

He nodded to his men and they immediately began pushing the buggies towards the entrance. Owen ran over to me and put his hand on my lower back as he led me through the store. His other hand held on tightly to his gun.

"You know, you don't need to protect me all the time. I can take care of myself," I said, looking over at him as we raced through the building.

He shot me a smirk, "Don't you think I know that, Angel? I protect you because I want to. Not because I don't think you can do it yourself,"

I bit my lip and a blush rose to my cheeks. The group of us sprinted through the aisles, going as fast as we could. But apparently, we weren't fast enough. By the time we reached the entrance, it was already overrun with walkers. There were at least thirty of them. Their moans were almost deafening as they pushed against the glass doors, trying to force their way in.

"How are we going to get out of here?" I asked Owen, attempting to keep the fear out of my voice.

He was always brave but for the first time, I saw a sliver of apprehension in his eyes.

"I don't know...I don't know..." he said, his voice almost drowned out by the banging of the walkers' fists on the doors.

Note: I hope you liked that chapter, guys! :) And in case you're interested to see what Angel's key-chain as well as her outfit looks like, here it is: