When the nymph had scurried away, Poseidon took hold of Lexi's hand, stopping her forward progress. "Now that we know Odessa's time frame, I would like to share something with you in the grove before the sun has fully set, if you will indulge me." His eyes twinkled mischievously, but Lexi had come to trust him not to pull any funny business.

"Okay, but I need to nurse my babies first, and you might end up with a wailing child in your arms again."

"That will pose no challenge to me."

After the babies were fed, Poseidon walked Lexi down the path toward the grove with Ely strapped to his chest. For the moment, the boy was content to occupy himself with the collar of Poseidon's shirt, fisting it in his tiny hand.

"I take it you have not visited the grove since the Mabon incident with your hot-headed father?" Poseidon asked.

"No, I have not." Lexi had not been avoiding the grove. She had been avoiding her hot-headed father.

"Good. I want to watch your reaction when you see your tree."

Lexi knew which tree Poseidon meant. It was the one with the largest canopy and the fullest branches. Lexi knew one of the branches had been severed by Zeus' wrath, and she wasn't looking forward to seeing the damage, but when they entered the grove, Lexi was stopped by the sight of it. The stubby end of the broken limb had been expertly chiseled into the bust of a goddess, and based on the resemblance it bore to the statue Lexi commissioned for Hades earlier that year, she knew which goddess it was meant to represent.

Lexi walked under the tree and touched the smooth curves of the goddess's hair as it waved discretely over her exposed breasts. "This is Emanuel's work, I take it?"

"Yes. He was more than happy to do it when I asked him."

Lexi turned to Poseidon, meeting his starry gaze without feeling compelled to stare. "You asked Emanuel to do this?"

"Yes, although we both came up with the design."

Lexi took another moment to admire her likeness immortalized in timber. While tastefully rendered, the tone of the piece was sensual, expressed by the impish smile on her face and her unclothed state. If Hades ever saw it, he would be furious.

"That is very thoughtful of you, Poseidon. I don't know what to say."

He grinned. "Say you love it."

"I love it."

Once Poseidon had received his praise, he ushered Lexi to the terrarium room at the back of the palace. The space was completely enclosed in glass, very much like the rooms of Poseidon's palace, but rather than the ocean greeting them on the other side, they were surrounded by a plethora of sculpted topiaries in various shapes and sizes. Gratefully, none of them showed signs of suffering from Rhea's passing.

Lexi and her babies made themselves comfortable on a large chaise, while Poseidon took to pacing in front of the glass. This behavior appeared to be a shared family trait.

"You're clearly nervous about this special something you plan to share with Odessa," Lexi said as she attempted to rewrap Elm's swaddle for the umpteenth time. "Is there anything you want to ask me that might help ease your mind? Odessa and I share a lot. She's the closest I've ever come to a best friend."

Poseidon blew air from his mouth, forcing his lips into a pout. "It's too late for helpful advice. My feelings for Odessa grow stronger every day. We have professed our love for each other, and our courtship has taken us to the brink of what some might call inappropriate behavior for a chaste goddess."