4. Sunstorm

The day was cold, far colder than she had expected. Pale blue and cloudless, the sky stared down at the group with a crisp gaze. There was some sunshine, but it was harsh, not warm. Sticking to the back of the convoy, Sunstorm took her time at picking a route as they went down the mountain. A flicker of her stare glanced upwards, and she noticed two sparrows racing each other above her head. With a short smile, she knew they were approaching the beginning of the forest that divided ColdClan and HeatClan. 

It was the layout of the part of the world they lived in that truly intrigued Sunstorm, and always had. StarClan had gifted her own clan a plateau on the mountain, sheltered by rocky crags either side. Their source of water came from a stream that ran through. On the other paw, HeatClan resided in the barren plain below the mountain. It wasn't a desert as such, but there was no better way of describing the bare, dry land they somehow managed to survive in. It fascinated the ginger she-cat that these cats were hardy enough to withstand everything they did. When HeatClan wasn't trying to kill her clanmates or accuse them of being murderers, she did greatly respect them.

Steadily, the sharp incline of the woodland between the two clans began to level out. Mudstar's supple, spry body slowed down at the front of the group, and Sunstorm could feel the tension that washed over the group like a wave. "Ok, we're almost there. Let me do the talking, and don't get into a fight with anyone! There aren't enough of us -- we'll be as much use as a dead fox."

There was an awkward silence as Mudstar spoke of the 'dead fox', and it was clear he had realised what he had said, as his eyes fell to the ground uncomfortably. "I, uh, didn't say that."

Mosspelt, Mudstar's mate, pushed passed him gracefully. "Good job, fuzz-brain." She snorted, a smirk on her face as she walked past a crestfallen Mudstar. The group pushed on, following the confident warrior, with their leader taking up the rear position to guide his clan members.

They hadn't even reached the border when they smelt a new scent. About six warriors appeared from almost nowhere, taking Sunstorm by surprise , so much so that she leapt toward Redflight for protection. The older deputy's eyes were a little wide, even for a seasoned warrior, but Sunstorm was nonetheless grateful for the protection his thick red fur gave. 

A massive warrior was the first to speak. His size was awe-inspiring; Sunstorm would be terrified to be in a battle against him. She knew that Redflight was a larger than average tom, but this HeatClan cat was like something she'd never seen before. He was completely grey except for his frightening, over-bearing gaze, which almost glowed with his orange eyes.

"I am Bearleap, the leader of this patrol. If you continue on your path, you will be trespassing on HeatClan territory," the aptly named cat took that moment to step forward menacingly. "That is something I would advise against."

Packed tightly together, the ColdClan cats raised their heads defiantly towards the enemies. Mudstar's courage always amazed Sunstorm, and he stepped out in front of the group. His apparent calmness was also quite shocking. After all, there was a murderer on the loose, and HeatClan seemed to want to blame ColdClan for it!

"You know who I am, Bearleap. We come here on formal business. I wish to speak to Cloudmask about the murder of Foxstar."

Tilting his head, the brute of a cat glanced at the other members of his patrol. "That's Cloudstar to you now. He made the journey to StarCave last moonhigh. We will take you to him."

Sunstorm's orange ears flicked forward. So StarClan had accepted her father as the new leader of HeatClan. Wow, she thought, our ancestors work in funny ways.

As the ColdClan array was guided towards the camp, Sunstorm couldn't help but feel like a prisoner. They had been surrounded, huddled together like a bunch of kittypets, and marched onwards. Nerves on high, she knew she would have to hold her guard. As they moved, she found herself being taken into the heart of a circle of thicket. Sharp thorns were the protection for the HeatClan cats, and it also hid their camp incredibly well. She'd only ever been there once before, but she could hardly remember it. It did not fail to impress her once again.