Chapter Three The Legend of The Book

'Days had become weeks, weeks had turned to months. Ever since I found out that I was a witch, I had been meeting with Dorian after school in his study, and weekends practicing magic with Grandpa Gerard. I had to keep an eye out for Steve Maxwell, Gerard, Dorian and I were already aware that he was bad news and he was still trying to figure out our secret. It was getting harder pretending to be normal...' "Bela, I've seen you clench your fist behind your back. I know you only do that when you feel like strangling people telepathically. You need to try and control your...urges." Dorian said "I don't know how, but he always comes one step closer every time. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. He will find out eventually. He already figures there's something strange about us, Dorian." I said "Gerard and I will be here to help you keep your power under control." Dorian said, placing his hand on my shoulder ever so gently "Dorian, would you like to join us for dinner? Maybe get to know Bela a little better?" Gerard asked "I'm sure that Dorian has dinner plans." I said "Actually, I wanted to invite you and Bela over for dinner tomorrow night. I want her to know my family. And my grandmother's been wanting to meet the husband of her late best friend." Dorian said "Dorian, we couldn't impose." I said "No, my family's been asking about the both of you. It was my mother's idea to have you two over." Dorian said "What time should we be there?" I asked "How about a quarter to Never. Bela is my girl, Ravencroft." Steve said "What do you want, Steve?" Gerard asked "Well, Mr. Harrison. I've come to take your granddaughter on a date." Steve said "Like hell I'd ever go out with you, Steve." I said "She has plans, Steve. Besides, you can't stand Gerard or me." Dorian said "There's something freaky about the two of you." Steve said pointing at Gerard and Dorian. "There's nothing freaky about me?" I asked "You are flawless perfection, Bela Grayson." Steve said, stroking my face "Don't touch me." I said, slapping him across the face "Damn..." Gerard said "Bela, I didn't know you felt this way about me." Dorian said "I would do anything to protect my friends." I said "You freaks may have won this round, but I'll be back, and I will not rest until Bela is mine." Steve said, storming off "I'll leave you two alone to talk." Gerard said "So, your parents were asking about me, huh?" I asked "Growing up, I never really had friends. Even before I knew I was a sorcerer, I was more of a lone wolf." Dorian said "So, you weren't too good at making friends either." I said "You had trouble making friends? But you're so... ..." Dorian trailed off "I was awkward when I was little. Everyone ran from me because I was accident prone." I said "Your parents were the most powerful of your family covens, but witches and sorcerers can't be killed unless it's at the hands of another witch or sorcerer. So the car accident couldn't have killed Rose and Kyle. It must have been at the hands of another witch or sorcerer." Dorian said "You mean to say that we live forever? I thought that was only vampires." I said "We had the immortality first, until witches started to grant it to those bloodsucking creatures of the night." Dorian said "So, you're saying the vampires live eternally because of a spell cast by our ancestors?" I asked "Yes, and the magic used to create their immortality spreads if they bite a human and pour their blood into the wounds." Dorian said "Gross." I said "I agree, it is horrifying to watch." Dorian said "Hopefully, it's something we never have to witness. For as long as we live." I said "So, I need your answer on tomorrow night, will you and Gerard be joining us?" Dorian asked "We'll be there." I said "Bela..." Dorian said "Yes, Dorian?" I said "Don't move.." Dorian said brushing a strand of hair behind my ear, leaning in close "Dorian, it's time you came in." An elderly woman called "I have to go, but I'll see you tomorrow." Dorian said "Yeah, we'll see you then." I said 'Dorian had turned to face me, and had quickly kissed my cheek and headed for the front door of his house. I, almost unable to move, was awestruck at Dorian's action, I had snapped back moving towards the porch, I had then seen Grandpa Gerard watching from the kitchen window as I entered the house..' "Tell me everything." Gerard said "We were discussing our plans for tomorrow night, we did nothing else." I lied "I saw Dorian kiss you, Bela. Spill." Gerard said "It was a friendly kiss on the cheek, Grandpa. And what's so important about the book we recovered?" I asked "Whatever you do, don't unlock or open it." Gerard said "It's just a book. What happens if you open it?" I asked 'My grandfather had gotten cold, his eyes looked almost lifeless, he had then focused his energies and placing his hand on my shoulder had then shown me the answer to my question, if the book was ever opened, or fallen into the wrong hands... ...it would bring the end of the world and the end of our lives.. Trapping us to live in a darkened hell storm for all eternity...'