Chapter 20

It was Dewfoot who had scented a mouse and leaped as her paws felt the tiny furred creature as a high pitched squeak was soon cut short, sinking her teeth into the now helpless prey. Beetail purred. "Nice work!" She commented.
"Thank you." The dark gray warrior mewed.
The AshClan deputy nodded her head. Coalleap padded up with a bird in his jaws.
Dewfoot smiled at him. Swiftslip's green eyes sparkled in doe eyed admiration. "Wow! That's a good one!" She purred.
Dewfoot frowned and looked away.
"Thanks." Coalleap meowed and touched his muzzle to her cheek. Dewfoot sighed, her eyes on her paws. Beetail exchanged a glance with Lakewhisper and Mosspuddle. The calico she-cat shrugged. Lakewhisper blinked.
Dewfoot walked away.
Fernstripe, Kestrelbriar, and Chara padded after her.
"You're just as good of a hunter as Swiftslip if it makes you feel better." Kestrelbriar mewed.
"Thanks Kestrelbriar.." The dark gray warrior mewed.
"Hey, who needs Coalleap when you have us?" Chara purred.
Dewfoot smiled as they all entered the camp.
Beetail padded into camp. She noticed Sharpfrost depart from them and padded up to the group of she-cats. Dewfoot turned to him. "Oh! Sharpfrost!" She mewed.
"Hi Dewfoot.." He mewed shyly.
"So how are you?" Dewfoot asked him. "Good." The tabby tom meowed in reply.
She smiled and shuffled her paws.
"I caught this for you," he dropped a plump squirrel at her paws. "I had to climb really high to get it.." His blue eyes wanting for her approval. Dewfoot looked at the squirrel and smiled gently.
Chara angled her ears as she, Fernstripe, and Kestrelbriar slinked away, leaving the two cats to themselves.
"Thanks." Dewfoot purred.
"You're welcome. I thought you deserved the best squirrel." The gray tabby mewed with a smile.
Dewfoot purred and bit into the squirrel.
Beetail purred, but suddenly, out of the corner of her eye, she saw Coalleap glaring at Sharpfrost, who had his back turned not noticing. The black and white tom was being nuzzled by Swiftslip. The dark brown tabby looked at Bloomfur. "You see this too right?" Her question was at a whisper. Bloomfur nodded her eyes wide. The she-cat looked at Bloomfur, then at the two cats with their companions. Dewfoot smiled at Sharpfrost. "It's good!" She purred licking her whiskers. He purred with delight. "Then I shall catch more squirrels!" He joked. Dewfoot mrowed with laughter. Sharpfrost gave an amused purr. Coalleap forced his fur to lie flat;fury was burning inside him. His mate looked up at him. "Are you okay?" She asked him.
"I'm fine." He purred licking Swiftslip's cheek, relishing the feel if her fluffy tortoiseshell fur against his coat. Swiftslip purred. Coalleap touched his muzzle to her cheek.
Cinderkit and Smokekit were playing with a pinecone.
Swiftslip smiled at the sight.
"I wonder what kits would be like.." He commented suddenly.
Swiftslip looked at him.
"I-If you wanted them." Coalleap meowed.
The tortoiseshell she-cat smiled. Dewfoot and Sharpfrost padded side by side past them, joined by Missingdust and Leafmist.
Swiftslip nuzzled him. Coalleap watched them walk past.
"Coalleap?" Swiftslip mewed.
He jolted. "Hm?"
"Do you want kits?" Swiftslip asked. Coalleap blinked. The she-cat waited for an answer from him.
Coalleap nodded his head. "Yes." He replied.
Swiftslip smiled at him.

The following day, Dewfoot was grooming herself. Coalleap padded up to her, but as he opened his mouth to speak, she stopped him instantly. "Save it.. You made it clear how you feel about me." She mewed to the tom.
"Come on Dewfoot listen to me?" He pleaded.
"Okay fine." She mewed.
He smiled. "I saw how close Sharpfrost was getting to you yesterday."
"Why would you care?" Dewfoot asked looking confused.
"Because I do." Coalleap circled her. "What are you doing?" She asked. She had liked him, but suddenly, something about this made her pelt prickle. Coalleap sat infront of her their muzzles nearly touching. She blinked, gazing into his green eyes. Coalleap licked her cheek.
Dewfoot gasped, but couldn't help doing the same, her pelt feeling hot. Suddenly, her eyes widened as she looked behind him. Swiftslip was staring wide eyed and jaws gapped.