Chapter 14

Beetail looked at the fresh-kill pile. She saw that it was well stocked considering the season. She had been the deputy for seven sunrises. Cats muttered and walked around. Sharpfrost was pressed beside Leafmist.
"I heard that ScarClan and WolfClan got into a tussle." Murmured a cat. "Yeah." Lichenmask muttered to Kestrelbriar.
"They were protecting a fox!" Lakewhisper hissed to Tawnybrook. "ScarClan's lost it now." Wind rasped to Tasha and Clawpelt.
"They said its name was Poppyheart." Tasha mewed.
"They naked a fox?" Clawpelt meowed. "It sounds like an ancestors name." The black and ginger she-cat commented. "Yes." Wind meowed.
Cats muttered talking about the fox and ScarClan.
Beetail looked at the kittypets;practicing battle moves on each other in the large camp. They seemed to be getting better. Perth had sharped his teeth on the fallen tree of the camp, just as Aspenspark had advised. And Margaret was fast and used her speed to confuse Darkpoppy and Copperwhisker in training yesterday and overpower them. Danica sat at the fresh kill pile.
Margaret groomed herself, washing her tail purring.
Perth padded over to Danica. The she-car saw him. "Hi Perth!" She chirped. "Hey." He smiled.
The tortoiseshell she-cat smiled at him. Perth grabbed a mouse. Margaret took notice.
"Would you like to share?" He asked Danica.
"Yes." She mewed.
Perth purred and took a bite. She took a bite as well.
Margaret got up and padded away from them. She sat next to Beetail. "Look at him. So happy." She mewed.
"That's good." The AshClan deputy meowed.
Margaret said nothing more;blinking at the black and white tom touching noses with the tortoiseshell she-cat as he padded around her playfully. Her eyes showed what looked to be a whirlpool of feelings, Beetail noticed. It was then she realized that one of the emotions was hurt.

"Try that move again Perth." Copperwhisker mewed. The black and white tom made his way for Danica, but he looked to be taking his sweet time much to not only his but not strangely Margaret's annoyance.
Perth launched himself at her again, but he tackled her to where she landed on her side and not her back. Before Beetail could step up, Margaret shoved her out of the way. "You call that a move? Let me try," she insisted. Waiting until the tortoiseshell she-cat rose to her paws, she flew at her, unsheathing her claws and struck the soft part of her right ear, nicking it. Danica screeched and flung herself away from her.
"Margaret!" Darkpoppy yowled outraged and bounded to look at the tortoiseshell she-cat, if Perth wasn't the first, thrusting straight past her.
"Relax, it's only her ear. If you want somewhere it'll hurt, I won't hesitate for her legs.." The dark gray she-cat rumbled.
"What was that about?" Marshtail asked her as she drew near.
"You'll hear enough rumors to find that out on your own." Margaret meowed and turned in the direction of the AshClan camp. Yet as she padded off, Sharpfrost stared at her, admiration in his blue eyes. He smiled while staring at her softly. The pale gray tabby tom blinked. "I'll be right back," he meowed and padded after her. "I'm going to... Er, try to calm her down." He quickly trotted away.
Beetail looked across the lake. Her thoughts were a long way away as she blinked;thinking of how she, the ViperClan, and WolfClan cats came bounding in to rescue her Clanmates, until the death of Hollyheart. Foxstar made the right choice for his Clan. She knew that as well as he did, and her role as deputy would not be used in any wrong way.