Chapter 18

Onestar leaped up on the Snake Rock alongside Whitestar. "All cats gather for a clan meeting!" The two leaders meowed at the same time. Warriors and queens gathered looking up to their leaders.
"I am happy to announce that Brindlefrost has successfully given birth to two kits this being her first litter. Deerkit and Pinekit!" Onestar announced.
"I am happy to also say, that Ryenose gave birth to two kits. Yarrowkit and Ivorykit!" Whitestar added. Sedgeclaw was practically purring looking up at his mother.
Cats purred and congratulated the two new mothers.
Suddenly, Hollyheart slowly came out of the den. "I tried everything I could... Dustytail walks with StarClan now..." She mewed.
Jadepelt's eyes widened. Cats dipped their heads sadly.
"But... But you're our medicine cat... You had to have done something that surely could have cured him!" Feralstorm wailed. "I tried... But... I was too late.." The amber eyed medicine cat mewed. Cats backed away.
Lightspot rested her tail on her mate's shoulder. Hazelheart nuzzled into her brother, Leafpelt's shoulder. Cats muttered sadly.
Jadepelt gave a low sad meow as Goldensparrow and Hawkleaf brushed their tails against her.
Feralstorm lowered his head. Dawnreed padded up to him. "I understand what's like.." She mewed softly.
Darkshadow was nuzzling Lillytail who was meowing sadly.
Rowanfang blinked, feeling bad for the WolfClan deputy and the medicine cat. He remembered that Duststripe had gotten better in the last quarter moon;each day, he had hoped that the leaf-bare season's snow would melt and be nothing but a distant memory for the deaths it brought with it.

The ViperClan warrior slept in his nest. He looked through an opened eye and saw Paleheart sleeping with her tail over her nose in a nest next to Lighteningtail. Then her brother, Snakegaze, who was snoring practically by Foxfur's ear.
Rowanfang slowly slept in his nest beside Coyotefoot.
His ears pricked when he heard something shift. Blinking, he slowly got up from his nest and moved carefully from his sleeping clanmates. The dark tabby slinked away from Grayfur and Fallentooth, who were practically sleeping at their guarding spots, and into the snowy night. Rowanfang saw the stars gleam.
Rowanfang! There is great danger! Wails a voice inside his head.
"Doeface..?" He muttered silently in confusion.
The howls will return!
"Howls? What are you," He heard a noise that made him freeze.
A howl sounded far in the distance. Rowanfang tensed.
Cats growled and tensed up.
Rowanfang! They are returning! You must warn them! Doeface yowled in his mind.
Rowanfang yowled for the cats attention. Cats were waking up.
"Everyone! Everyone! Wake up!" He wailed.
Frostgaze shot up. "Rowanfang?" She asked.
"It's the wolves! They're back!" Grayfur cried out.
Onestar's ears flattened. Mudstreak stared up at the stars. "Wolf against wolf... Blood will spill..." She muttered. Cats muttered and yowled. "We must warn everyone!"
"How?" Petaldust asked looking confused.
"We must go to them!" Onestar mewed. Whitestar looked to Dawnreed. "Take a patrol to ScarClan and," Suddenly, paws hit the snow and cats were making their way to them. Cats bristled growling.
It was Thornfurl and some ScarClan cats.
"What is going on?!" Whitestar asked. "You heard it too?" The she-cat asked Whitestar.
Whitestar nodded her fur still on end. "If you ask me, something must be done at once." Snarled a dark brown ScarClan tabby.
"Something will be done Needlefang." The pale gray she-cat meowed.
"We need a meeting to discuss this at once!" Declared Shrewfur, a black scarred tom of ScarClan's warriors. "And we will." Onestar agreed. Thornfurl nodded her head.
"Return to your camp and warn AshClan on your way." Dawnreed mewed.
The Scarclan cats departed. Rowanfang watched them go. Cats muttered and grumbled.
"Are we weak?!" Came a yowl from Tallclaw.
"Weak?!" Whitestar snorted.
"We're ViperClan warriors! They don't even believe in StarClan!" Snakegaze added.
"Who cares?! They will help us survive!" She snapped.
"She's right." Feralstorm mewed.
"Everyone get some rest." Onestar mewed.
"How can we?!" Brindlefrost fretted. Redflame nuzzled her comfortingly. "We will have extra Warriors to guard tonight." The WolfClan leader replied. Grayfeather, Silverflight, Ottertail, and Aliex stepped up.
Whitestar nodded. "And two apprentices to guard the nursery." She mewed.
Sparfire and Clawstripe stepped up, they still looked like apprentices. The two leaders nodded.
Ryenose curled around her kits. Cats pooled into their dens.
Onestar looked at Whitestar. "We had chased the wolves out of the forest. This can't be possible!" The white and ginger tom hissed in a whisper.
"They must have come back." Whitestar whispered.
His amber eyes flashed. Whitestar shook her head.
"What have we done wrong?" Onestar mewed.
"I don't know. But the lives of our clans are at stake." She mewed.
"I don't understand... Why is StarClan cursing us?" Onestar's mew was filled with confusion.
Whitestar shook her head. "No no. That couldn't be it."
"Think about it. We have done nothing wrong." He pointed out.
"Then why would they be cursing us?" Whitestar asked.
"There must be a reason.." The WolfClan leader mewed.
"We will find that out. But for now we must rest." The white she-cat mewed. "Yes..." The white and ginger tom mewed.