+twenty-eight

Yeri left Jungkook's apartment and quickly left the building before anyone saw her. Even though it was relatively rare for someone to recognize her, Yeri didn't want anyone to make the connection, especially if they find out that she is staying in another man's apartment. She didn't even want to think about what kind of repercussions that would cause for her and the group. 

Once Yeri made her way out of the apartment building safely, she wound her large trench coat closer to her body. The sun was barely peeking its way over the horizon and Yeri was thankful for it. That meant that there was less light for people to see her and less people out. Yeri always walked from Jungkook's apartment to the practice rooms since it was only a few blocks away from each other. 

Yeri kept her head down as she walked, hoping that ever person that she passed would ignore her presence and dismiss her for a student. She walked a bit quicker and breathed through her mouth. She noticed that she could see her puffs in the air. She walked even quicker so that she could escape the cold weather. 

It wasn't long before Yeri finally made it to the practice room. Koeun pranced to her which made Yeri smile like a mom. Even though they were the same age, there were small actions that Koeun did that made Yeri think she was years older. 

Koeun grabbed Yeri's hand and lead her towards the other girls. Everyone else was in their comfortable practice clothes, but somewhat stylish. Sohye was holding a camera in her hand, which automatically caught Yeri's attention. 

"We are going to be recording our first dance practice for this song." Sohye said excitedly. 

Yeri's heart seemed to start pounding rapidly as soon as she said that. Yeri's voice went shaky. "Isn't it too early to be recording the dance practice?" 

Koeun shook her head. "It's only for the company to see and officially approve it before we keep practicing it. It's not like this is going to be seen by the public." 

Yeri nodded. "Still, it's weird to think that we are this close to our debut." 

"Yeri, we've debuted before." Sua assured her. 

Yeri blinked hard. She didn't know why all of this felt so off to her. For some reason, Yeri wasn't in the same state of urgency that she always used to feel. 

"Come on, let's just record this." Mina said with a bright smile. 

Yeri tried to mimic the same expression and nodded. All she could do for her members was put on a fake smile and continue with preparations. 

--

Yeri's throat was starting to close as she was walking home from the practice room. Her initial excitement that she had moments ago was masked with fear as she read a news article. 

Jellyfish's rookie girl group is finally making their comeback with their first mini album on the first of January! The article title made Yeri quiver. They barely decided that they would be making their comeback in early January as well. The meeting that Yeri was departing from decided that they would begin their album shoot within a few days as well as music video shooting. 

Yeri knew that if there were already prejudice against their group, this would amplify it. Yeri knew that the two groups would be pitted against each other, which was not something that Yeri was looking forward to. 

Yeri tried battling the tears, but she knew when her face was pelted with a sharp cold breeze, that it was too late. She quickly wiped her face and threw her phone in her pocket and walked quicker to Jungkook's apartment. 

Yeri ran up the building's stairs, thankful that she finally made it inside so that she could heat up in the apartment's warm heat. 

Yeri unlocked the front door and threw herself inside the apartment. All Yeri wanted to do was run into the bedroom and crawl up in the warm covers where she would be protected from all of the hardships of the world. However, when Yeri moved far enough in the apartment, she noticed that there was a Christmas tree in the corner of the room. 

Yeri frowned, not having any recollection of Christmas being anytime soon. December just started, why did Jungkook think that he needed to put up a Christmas tree already? 

Yeri pulled out her phone and glanced at the date. Her eyes went wide when she read the date. December 24th? Impossible! Someone was playing a trick on her. 

"You're back early." Yeri heard a voice say behind her. She turned to see that Jungkook was in a large red sweater with an apron thrown over it. "I barely started cooking dinner since I thought that you would be back after two." 

Yeri glanced at the clock on the wall and noticed that it was only a few minutes before midnight. Yeri gave Jungkook a soft smile. "I didn't realize that it was Christmas." 

Jungkook shrugged. "You've been really busy recently." 

All Yeri could do was offer a weak nod. When Yeri glanced back at Jungkook, she thought that he looked warm. He didn't look intimidating or harsh. The yellow lighting from all of the artificial lights gave him a glow that made him look surreal. Yeri thought for split second how a human could look at her with such care. 

Jungkook seemed to notice that the two were only staring at each other for a bit too long and snapped out of his daze. "Why don't you open your presents now while we wait for the stew to finish cooking?" 

Yeri stared at him confused. "You got me presents?" 

Jungkook nodded and walked to the tree that had three presents under it. He pulled one out and offered it to her. "Just open it and don't tell me that I didn't have to get you anything. I already paid for it." 

Yeri hesitated before she walked up to him. She took the present and sat on the couch as she ripped the paper from the small box. Yeri lifted the lid to reveal a photo frame. Yeri pulled it out so that she could see the picture inside with better lighting. It was a picture that Jungkook and Yeri took together a month ago. Yeri was smiling so brightly that her eyes were tightly closed. Jungkook was beaming brightly, smiling without revealing his teeth. Yeri noticed that his arm was thrown over her shoulder, but she didn't remember feeling it. Yeri wondered if she was always that oblivious. 

She glanced over to Jungkook who seemed like he was reliving the moment. Before she could say anything, he hopped off of the couch and fetched the last two presents. He handed one that was in a smaller box than the frame. 

It didn't take long for Yeri to rip the paper and open the next box to a thin silver bracelet. Yeri picked it up and noticed the delicate and light feeling of it. 

Jungkook grabbed it. "Here, let me put it on you." 

Yeri held her arm out so that Jungkook could put on the bracelet. As he was putting it on, she noticed that a small silver bracelet was peeking its way through his sweater. 

"You have the same bracelet?" Yeri asked. 

Jungkook's face turned warm and he nodded. "I thought that since we have been through so much as friends that we could have some matching accessories." 

Yeri nodded and couldn't help but feel upset with the fact that he said 'friends'. Her disappointment was drown when Jungkook handed Yeri the last present. She noted that this box was much lighter than the others. 

After Yeri lifted the lid, she noticed that the box had nothing in it but a note. Yeri took it out in a swift motion and waited a second for her eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. 

Yeri scanned the note and thought that she has read the note wrong. She blinked hard but the words didn't change. The small words 'I like you' made Yeri reread the note 30 times before she finally looked at Jungkook.