Chapter 23. Catrin in London.

Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford. ~ Samuel L. Johnson

Chapter 23.

Catrin in London.

The sights, sounds, and smells of London filled up Catrin as she stared excitedly out the carriage window. She had never been in any sort of city before, and now to suddenly be in the capital of England. It was something of a dream come true.

"I do hope Bea is alright," she worried. Catrin dreaded to think what Mamma was doing to Beatrice back at home. Her mind was playing tug of war at being thrilled and horrified at what she was doing.

"There was no getting out of it," she comforted herself. "Beatrice is not one to be argued with. If I ever saw someone with a strong will it has to be my stepsister. Pity I was not born with one quite as strong, perhaps my life would have turned out differently."

Soon the carriage pulled up to the street where Mrs. Fairfax lived. The coachman helped her out and with a deep breath Catrin walked over to the door.

A knock, an answer by the butler, a very shocked Mrs. Fairfax and it was obvious Catrin had come before the letter had. But Mrs. Fairfax took it all with a fair deal of grace.

After reading the note from Beatrice that Catrin had dutifully passed on Mrs. Fairfax looked her unexpected guest up and down.

"Well, well, well," she stated. "I dare say our Beatrice certainly has an imagination. I shall have Miles bring up your trunk. And I'll have Stella prepare the room for you. In the meantime why don't you sit down, have a cup of tea and rest from your long journey."

Thus Catrin was settled into Mrs. Fairfax's home, and once she had gotten over the shock, Mrs. Fairfax became very glad and said she was happier than ever to have Catrin as a guest.

That evening Catrin sat curled up on her bed, Her Majesty purring on her lap. "We are in London at last, Your Majesty," Catrin whispered.

"And I like it so far," Her Majesty stated. "It is the city for royalty, which is exactly what I am!"

"And we are all on our own," Catrin contiuned, unaware of her cat's thoughts. "Well, that is to say we are with Mrs. Fairfax, but neither Mamma nor Beatrice are here. Dear me, how lonely it sounds. I wonder what tomorrow will bring, Your Majesty. Will London be as wonderful as I dreamed, or as horrible as Beatrice described?"

***

The next morning Mrs. Fairfax took Catrin out shopping.

"Beatrice asked that I present you to society. It is high time you were out, but you must have a proper ball gown."

"I am a little shy to go to a ball," Catrin suddenly confessed.

"Shy?" Mrs. Fairfax laughed. "Why my dear Catrin, I never thought I would hear you say such words. You are the one who is always dreaming of going to ball."

"Well, yes, I am. But...this is London, I don't know anyone here. I always thought on my first ball I should have Beatrice, but she is not with me."

"You might be glad of that. Beatrice is a good girl, but she is not good company for balls. And as for not knowing anyone, do not fear, that is what I am for. I introduce you to anyone and everyone of consequence that I know. I've been in London society long enough to know quite a few of the people that mingle in it."

Mrs. Fairfax wasted no time. She took Catrin to a shop and they chose out a good gown for her. It was nothing like her first ball gown, which though new and pretty had been rather simple. This time the gown was pure white, with puffed sleeves and beautiful silk and lots of lace. Matching gloves and shoes were aquired as well. The next evening Stella spent an hour working on Catrin's hair. She put it all up in a delicate bun and wove a few white roses into it. Then she worked painstakingly with the curling iron to get the delicate curls in the front that were so fashionable for those days. It was tiresome work, but in the end Catrin stared at herself in awe.