He also sought out Harry and apologized sincerely once more.

Once in the trial room Kingsley sat Sirius in the chair, but did not handcuff him. Sirius was still in a sort of daze.

Finally, after what seemed like eons upon eons to Sirius, Fudge showed up.

"Now, Mr. Black, I believe you have a much awaited trial. Mind if I ask you a few questions?"

"N-not at all, Minister."

"You'll answer truthfully?"

"Of course, sir."

"Do you have a Dark Mark?"

"No," Sirius said, while pulling up his left sleeve. The Minister, having seen no evidence of a dark mark, nodded.

He cleared his throat and looked at the man. He saw the look of grief, loss, and fear in his expression. He immediately felt intense sorrow for the man. He had no doubt that the man was innocent now, but he had to finish the trial.

Finally, he asked his next question. "Did you have anything to do with the murder and betrayal of Lily and James Potter?"

"No, sir."

"Do you know of anyone who did?"

"Yes, sir."

"Do you know the name?"

"Peter Pettigrew."

"What happened that day on the street with Mr. Pettigrew?"

"Well, sir, I had just found out that the man who was like a brother to me was killed. So naturally my suspicions flew to the Secret Keeper, Peter. Anne, my wife, tried to stop me from doing something I'd regret, but at the time I was too infuriated. We knew it was Pettigrew who betrayed them. We had no doubt whatsoever. So I searched for him. I managed to corner him and I confronted him, but being the coward he is, he chopped off his own finger and set off a spell on the street, killing those muggles, so he wouldn't have to face Azkaban. He then went into hiding, as he was an unregistered Animagus. He hid as the Weasleys' pet rat for twelve years, until finally two years ago I revealed him. He ran that night and found his master." Sirius nearly broke down at the mention of his friends and the love of his life, but he stayed strong. He couldn't break now. His life was practically on the line. For a moment the thought of just allowing himself to be killed crossed his mind, but then he remembered he still had Harry to live for. He couldn't give up, not now.

"How can I prove this to be true?"

"Look into my memories. I assure you, I would never lie about something like this."

Fudge nodded. "Kingsley, would you mind looking into his memories? Just for solid evidence."

Kingsley nodded. "Yes, sir."

Kingsley looked to Sirius for conformation. Sirius nodded. "Legilimens."

Kingsley saw images of Anne telling Sirius not to go after Peter while holding a crying Elle, images of Peter cutting off his own finger, Sirius and Remus turning Peter back into a man, Peter confessing to betraying James and Lily, and Peter running off as soon as he got the chance.

"He's telling the truth, Minister."

"Very good, yes, very good. Sirius Orion Black the Third, you are hereby cleared of all charges and are a free man. My deepest apologies for not doing this the first time around."