TEN

I shrunk down under my covers, grasping at the sheets as tightly as I could. That did nothing to help me since before I knew it, the covers were ripped off and I was on the floor. I saw a laughing Fred above me, making me glare at him.

"I'll just sleep down here," I mumbled, turning and burying my head into my pillow that had fallen with me.

I closed my eyes to sleep again, only this time Fred started tickling me. I tried to contain my laughter but failed miserably. In between laughs, I was trying to get Fred off of me, pushing and punching wherever I could. Evidently I didn't hurt too much, since Fred showed no signs of letting up. He was still laughing at me, grinning.

After a few minutes of him tickling me relentlessly I finally begged for mercy. "Please... please," I breathed heavily. Fred obeyed with a triumphant smile on his face. He held out his hand for me to take, but I ignored it. I waved my wand to return my sheets to their normal state and glared at Fred. It's too bad I hate tickling, as it did serve as a nice distraction. I forgot about everything except for that gorgeous redhead for a bit. But that's over. It didn't change anything.

Fred's grin faded a bit when I started letting the numbness take over again. He turned to Sammy and Betty.

"Well, ladies, I believe I have been of service. I'll just be off now," he said, feigning politeness with a bow before he walked out the door. I watched him from the bathroom which had the perfect view to the staircase. I saw him step on one step quickly and sat down as the staircase became a slide. I smiled softly before closing the door and getting dressed.

After I had finished the girls had to drag me to the Great Hall for breakfast. Fred and George were already there, so we sat down beside them. Everyone piled food on their plates, but I just picked at a blueberry muffin. I looked around the Great Hall, wondering how the ceiling was casting down such glorious sunlight and how people were smiling and laughing as they sat with their friends while I was so broken.

McGonagall brushed past and handed us our timetables. She gave me a sympathetic smile before she walked off. Have I mentioned how much I hate sympathy? I dropped my muffin, having lost any appetite I had as my stomach dropped to the floor.

I looked the schedule over. Double Potions in the morning and Double Defense Against the Dark Arts in the afternoon. Great.

I glanced over Fred's shoulder to see that he had the same thing, naturally. Then my eyes wandered to the part of the parchment that told me what professor taught which  class.

The pink toad was teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. Great. Two horrid professors all day.

Double Snape and double Umbitch. Perfect. What a great way to start my last year of Hogwarts.

After everyone was done eating, Fred and I started towards Potions. The other three had not gotten good enough O.W.L.s to take Potions as part of their N.E.W.T.S, so the lucky bastards had a free period. They don't have to put up with Snape anymore. Fred had just scraped by, and that was with my help, so I had convinced him to take it.

He grabbed my hand again as he was guiding me through the maze of people. For one fleeting moment I was happy once again. For one fleeting moment it was just Fred and I. It was as if Fred's joy and optimism was seeping through his hand into mine, chasing away the darkness for a bit. But soon we arrived in the dungeons, meaning that Fred and I's little moment was gone when he dropped my hand.

No, sadly, we are not dating. He keeps giving me the impression that he does like me, but then I always lose courage when I try to say something about it. I mean, why would he like me? He could have his pick of girls, since most of the female population here is in the Fred and George Weasley fan club. I hardly ever have the chance to talk to them, since they're busy doing things for the shop and putting up posters that often said, "Gallons of Galleons! Pocket money failing to keep pace with your outgoings? Like to earn a little extra gold? Contact Fred and George Weasley, Gryffindor common room, for simple, part-time, virtually painless jobs. (We regret that all work is undertaken at applicant's own risk)" They go on and on about making the most of this last year, with field testings and things like that.