Run, continued - 16B

The next morning, I slide into the passenger seat of Maizie's car and give her a smile. She is back to her quirky behaviour in order to keep Mason in the dark. We don't think he knows about her and we want to keep it that way. Whenever we speak in public we're careful to use a code or to avoid any risky topics, but in her car, we are our true selves. As soon as my seatbelt is buckled, we practically talk over each other.

"He's stalking me. I don't know how much of this I'm going to be able to do with you and Ryan," I say.

"I found an ad for a psychic who mentions realms. I know it's a long shot, but Ryan and I agreed that you and I should check it out," Maizie says.

"Did you just hear me? He's stalking me – obsessed." I sigh, frustrated. "I think maybe you should go on your own."

"Ryan thinks he can keep Mason distracted so that he can't follow you."

"We have no idea if he's the only one." I know I'm letting paranoia gain a foothold.

"If we assume he isn't, we do nothing. You've already said pretty much the same thing yourself. If we're going to try to get back, it requires some risks and some action. I know Mason intimidates you," Maizie tacks on at the end.

I look out the window, almost embarrassed to admit the truth, but Maizie and I have agreed that we'll be completely honest with each other. It's the only way we'll all make it back – no secrets. "I felt bad for him last night. I actually felt bad for him."

"What?! Why?" Maizie glares at me. "You can't feel bad for him of all people."

"He was in the First Realm and Ryan's father plucked him out. I just...I don't know. Something about the way he talked about it. I know none of us remember the First Realm, it's a character building realm, but he said he'd never go back. The intensity in him should have scared me because it probably means he'll do anything to avoid being sent back, but it just made me feel bad for him. He remembers that realm..." I looked over at Maizie, a twinge of anger at myself mixed in with all my other confusing emotions. "I hate that I care. It's like Ryan's almost death the other night opened up this well of feeling. I can't seem to close it down."

She hesitates before she speaks. I wonder what she's thinking. Finally, she says, "You are certainly turning into a very soft version of yourself."

We sit in silence for a long time. I shouldn't feel anything other than indifference towards Mason. I'm becoming weaker by the moment and disgust begins to boil my blood.

"Would it help to know that I also have some memories of the First Realm? That it really is that bad?" Maizie asks quietly. 

I turn and look at her with my mouth agape. "How do you remember that?"

"I think all those weird ticks and quirks were leftovers from the time I spent there. When I watched you fall, I just remembered so much more than the Third Realm. When I was banished, I went all the way down. It should have been a re-start, I think." She makes a spiraling motion with her hand and flattens it on the console, as though she splattered everywhere.

My head starts to spin and words fly out of my mouth without any conscious thought. "Oh my God. This is huge. I can't believe you didn't tell me this before. First of all: I can't believe you remember the First Realm and that it was really that bad. If I wasn't so excited about the second of all, I'd feel pretty crappy for you right now. But, second of all, that means you can transfer between realms because you weren't banished long enough to have cycled through the First Realm already. You shouldn't be here, in this realm at this age yet, right?"

"I don't remember how I got here though. Like Ryan, I don't know when I got here. It seems like I've been here forever, but I remember all the other stuff, too. It's like having memories on top of memories. It's all a jumble. The timeline is all out of order."