One: A First Dance and a Drunken State Romantic

“Come on, Ben!” Tommy whined, tugging on my dark grey, Rolling Stones sweatshirt. “Please, can we go to the party? Please!” I bit back a chuckle as I watched him jump up and down, practically throwing a fit – just like a child would. “Skrillex is going to be there! Fucking Skrillex!” My stomach did a flip. Maybe it would be cool to go to the party.

            Yes, but you weren’t invited… My conscious nagged.

Who asked you? Get back in my head and shut the hell up, I thought back.

“We weren’t invited,” I murmured, taking a side step away from him.

“Your point?” he droned.

“Tommy.”

“Ben.”

I crossed my arms.

He crossed his.

I sighed. “You’re an asshole.”

“Is that a yes, I hear?” he sang, swaying his hips back and forth like the man whore that he is. I laughed, shoving him away from me. “Come on,” he cooed, “We’ll crash the place!”

My jaw clenched. “No,” I said. “I really don’t want to be arrested!”

Tommy barked out a laugh. “I didn’t mean it like that!” He giggled, “I meant, so what if we weren’t invited? It’s a fucking mansion there. The guy who owns it is the son of the vice president of Warner Bros. Records. Honey, there are going to be so many famous people there – including some of those rock bands you listen to! Maybe you could play for them before or after Skrillex shows up and you’d be noticed! C’mon, Benny! Do it for your future! Don’t you wanna be a musician? This is your chance!”

“Tommy,” I sighed, “It’s just a stupid party.” Stupid gay boy, you are.

Tommy growled. “We must be pretty stupid then, because we’re going and that’s final. I can’t stand you moping around every time you don’t get a gig at some club. It’s not fair to you or me, and plus, I need some loving tonight! It’s fucking New Years Eve! And I refuse to stay home and just watch the ball drop from some old, ratty TV set.”

“Tommy,” I murmured, “I don’t know… What if something happens? I couldn’t stand it if you got hurt in any way.”

Tommy’s face softened. “Oh, love…” he sighed, “Just because shit happened in the past, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen in the future. You know I’m strong, and we both know that you’re strong enough to be on your own as well.” He lifted his hand to my face, pushing my fringe back out of my face. “You have such beautiful eyes, Benny… I don’t understand why you hide them.”

I frowned in response, but wrapped an arm around his waist as he reached up to kiss my cheek. “I love you, Benny…” he murmured, “You’re my best friend.”

“You too, gay boy…you too.”

***

            The sound of the heavy bass pounding throughout the room felt like a punch to the face. When it dropped, the young adults on the dance floor would jump up and cheer, screaming random shit at the top of their lungs. About a half hour into the party, Tommy was engulfed into the sea of sweaty, dancing bodies, and was now grinding up against some guy who looked to be thirty. Tommy wasn’t even twenty-years-old yet.

            My ukulele case was strapped onto my back, and I gripped my guitar case tightly in my right hand. My eyes wandered around the rather large and open looking house space. Couples were making out – either pushed up against a wall, or practically sinking away into a couch. Older teenagers and young adults were casually talking and laughing, taking the occasional drink from their red party cup, or the casual physical contact that acted as a flirty gesture.