Chapter 58

They returned to the Seelie Court to find that theirs hadn't been the only battle waged that day. While a good deal of Beathan's men, and Beathan himself, had been at the old farmhouse, Beathan had had people stationed all over the Unseelie Court. Cara and the others had missed the bulk of the battle.

While their own mini battle had raged on, a much larger battle started. It had started small, seemingly with small patches of resistance cropping up, but quickly being scared off into running. Little did they know that as they herded the resistance into a single spot, the resistance was also organizing, gathering themselves up, warning others, and coordinating to strike back.

It had started with attacks of guerilla warfare from the enemy, small attacks that took out only a couple men at a time, but eventually Caoimhe's and Eachann's men were led into a field surrounded on three sides by forest. The enemy had thought they had the advantage then, thinking they would use the forest to their advantage and take out superior numbers without being exposed.

They had underestimated the queen's and king's numbers. The resistance had attacked from almost all sides, taking out men left and right, but there was seemingly no end to their numbers and eventually the enemy had fallen.

Cheers had rang out, and the Unseelie legions had stopped on the spot to party, indulging in every manner of pleasure imaginable. The Seelie had looked on in mingled shock and horror, but the Unseelie didn't care.

By the time Cara, Val, and the werewolves had returned to the keep, so had the Seelie soldiers, her mother and King Eachann. Their numbers were too great for the Great Hall, but her mother did organize a feast to celebrate, all in the Court being welcome, including all of their guests.

"Are you happy, Cara?" her mother asked.

"I think so."

"That's all I need to know." Then she leaned over to better speak to Daniel at her Cara's side. "And all you need to know is that I'll rip out your spleen if you ever hurt her."

Cara groaned, but Daniel simply said, "Yes, ma'am."

She didn't know if he believed her or not, but didn't really want to think about it at that very moment. "Can't we just keep things civil for once?"

Caoimhe smiled. "I am being civil."

Cara begged to differ.

#

Caoimhe stood from the table, looking to Roderick with a sigh, but turned away. While she'd tried to stay brave, to keep a smile on her face and be strong for her people, today had not been a good day for her. She'd led an action that saw her son killed, and all she wanted to do at that moment was be wrapped in the arms of the man he loved, but he didn't remember her.

She sighed, and wondered how long it would take for him to love her again. After all, Fae had as much time as they needed to wait, but she didn't want to wait. Just thinking of having to wait for his love was depressed as all get out.

"My queen?" Roderick said hesitantly from beside her.

"Oh, Roderick. Hello."

"There's something I wanted to tell you."

"What is it?" Her lethargic emotion bled through into her voice.

"I remember."

She stopped dead in her tracks, blinking at him, her jaw slack. "What?"

He smiled at her and shrugged. "I remember. I mean, not everything, but enough. I remember."

With a squeal, she leaped at him, and all the pain leached out of her as he wrapped his arms around her in kind. "Thank you."

#

Val and Amy looked at each other and smiled.

"Happily ever after, eh?" she smirked.

He shrugged. "Why not?" He paused. "Do you think we could ever have a happily ever after?"

She paused to think about it, making his heart pound in his chest alarmingly at the anticipation. "I don't know, but I'm willing to give it a try if you are."

He laughed, wrapping his arm around her and kissing her forehead. "That's all I ask, Amy. Nothing more."

Author's Note: The End!  Yay!  Thanks for sticking around for the journey!

I am dedicating this chapter to reader as560312 because I am pretty certain that this wonderful reader has read and voted on most if not all of my chapters for this book. You've been there through all of my ups and downs and long gaps in posting. Know that I thank you and appreciate you. Thanks for sticking with me until the end.