However, when he started driving off the main road and onto a dirt trail that seemed to take us into the middle of the forest - I'm talking literally, I could feel the leaves of the plants and trees brush against my arm in the open Jeep, and even saw a few exotic wild animals that looked as if they wanted to eat me - I started to panic a bit.

"Relax," Nate leans over and rubbed my leg, probably sensing the deer-in-the-headlights look on my face. "I promise at the end of this drive, we're going to have fun."

"If I get bitten by anything poisonous, I will eat you," I threatened.

He chuckled, gripping my thigh. "I forgot how vicious you could be."

"I'll gladly remind you anytime."

He then seemed a bit bothered. "Do you want me to ruin the surprise?"

I shook my head. "No, I'm sure whatever you have planned is going to be fun."

"It will be," He assured me.

As we continued to drive, the road started to become more open again, and we made our way back to another trail. I closed my eyes and let the wind suck me into a moment of freedom from everything I left behind at home. I felt Nate grab my hand and interlaced our fingers. I smiled, still keeping my eyes closed, and savored this rich moment of happiness that I knew was a rarity.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked.

I finally opened my eyes, beautiful greenery surrounding us as we headed up the side of a steep mountain. "How happy I am."

He smiled, keeping his eyes on the road. "I feel the same." He lifted my hand and kissed it. "I haven't felt this good in a long time."

I nodded. "Me either. I guess that's what happens when you're a workaholic."

"I'm sure you've had more fun than I have these past few years. There's no way you didn't at least go out with your friends, or take girls trips."

I bit my lip in guilt. "I haven't...I mean, of course I went out on weekends when I wasn't swamped with work, but as far as leaving New York besides going home ot visit my parents, I haven't gone anywhere."

"Damn," Nate cursed. "I guess we both really needed this trip, huh?"

"Abso-freakin'-lutely," I sighed, easing into the seat. "How about you? No guys trips at all?"

He scoffed. "Trust me, Blake and Jason tried their best to get me to go on plenty, but the timing was always off. Either I was free and they weren't, or vice versa. At one point, they just stopped trying and I never asked."

"Are you all still friends?" I asked, hoping not to pry too much.

"Yes," He shrugged. "But not like before. I think...I grew up. If the past three years have done anything, it's forced me to get my head out of my ass and act like a grown adult. I have an entire magazine company - a legacy - that I'm responsible for. At first when my father made me the face of Forward, that's all I thought there was to it. Making appearances, going to photoshoots, attending events, skimming over articles, approving pieces without actually giving a thought to them."

I couldn't help but laugh. "Yeah, I know. I was kind of there for all of that."

He lightly chuckled. "I know. The whole world was there for that and that's what I didn't realize. I was ruining my own reputation with every childish mistake thinking that the job was the easiest thing in the world. I had people to do the work for me and all I really needed to do was give it the stamp of approval. Obviously, that's how you learn things in life, right? And after what happened at the EPAA gala, I definitely learned the hard way. After that, I knew it was time to make a change. I didn't just want to clean up the mess I made but I also wanted to gain everyone's respect back."