From Protector To Lady Chapter 23

ابدأ من البداية

"The door on the left leads to the kitchen, study, tactic rooms, aide chambers and a few other areas. The door on the right leads straight into the dining room, which leads to the halls for the chambers for ourselves and guests," Stanton explained as he put his hand on my waist, slightly pushing me forward, directing me toward the left door.

Opening the door, it swung open into a large grand hallway which had doors along both sides. Entering the first one on the left, my senses were soon overwhelmed with wonderful, rich smells and I knew we were in the kitchen almost instantaneously.

Taking a deep breath, I opened my eyes and was surprised to see at least twenty pairs of eyes staring back at me. Taken back I grabbed onto Stanton's arm as a reflex. He put his hand over mine before he spoke.

"Hello everyone," he greeted. I noticed they all wore similar looking clothing. The men wearing simple tunics and the women wearing light pastel colored dresses.

"I am happy to be able to introduce my wife, the Duchess Rebecca to you," he said as he put his arm around my waist.

Putting a smile on my face, I raised my hand, awkwardly acknowledging them. Many of them smiled and a few spoke friendly "Pleased to meet you's."

"You all know where our chambers are if you should ever need anything," he spoke to them. "And," he looked to me, his eyes holding mine, "If you should ever want to know anything, do not hesitate to ask any of them. I have personally employed each and every one of them, they are a wonderful bunch."

Nodding I glanced back at them, relieved to see that they in fact did all seem to be friendly faces.

"You can get back to your duties now," Stanton spoke before calling out. "Rory! Rory my friend," he said as he walked up to who I assumed was the chef, by the large apron he wore.

"It has been some time!" he said as he clapped the round man on the shoulder.

"It certainly has. I have been looking forward to your return," he said as he smiled from Stanton to myself.

"It is wonderful to get to meet you, Duchess," he said as he walked up to me. I was surprised at how short the man was, he barely matched my height.

"Please, do call me Rebecca," I urged as I grasped the hand he held out to me. I liked him already, shaking hands instead of kissing it or bowing.

"As you wish, Rebecca. We have heard so much about you since the announcement of your marriage was made, it is nice to be able to put a face to the name now," he said as his amber colored eyes shined with humor.

"Ah, I am getting distracted!" He said as he threw his hands up in the air. "If you wish to eat dinner any time soon, I had best get back to work. Now shoo!" He said as he pushed on Stanton's broad shoulders and giving him a shove.

I couldn't help but find myself smiling as Stanton laughed, the genuine sound of it raising my spirits as well. I do not remember the last time I have heard him truly laugh..or if I ever had at all. It was a pleasant sound and it made his entire face light up, his smile truly for once holding happiness.

It was clear he and Rory had been good friends for some time now, sharing a close bond. Tearing myself from my thoughts I followed Stanton as he exited the kitchen through a different door than the one we entered in.

It took a surprisingly long time for Stanton to show me all of the rooms of the manor. I was most pleased when he lead me out to the backside of the building.

Just as I had hoped, there was a lovely garden straight out the doors. It was much smaller than the one at the palace, but it was beautiful and I would enjoy being in it nonetheless. I was also pleased to see that there was also a small stable out in the distance. Stanton surprised me by saying that I even had my own horse now, it was purchased for me only a few days ago. I remembered the first time I had ever ridden and I looked forward to becoming more familiar with the powerful animals.