Broken Routine

She slowly saunters down the hallway with her backpack slung over both of her shoulders. She clasps the straps as she looks around her. She smiles lopsidedly at the boy whose locker is right next to hers. Hayley opens her locker and places her books inside. She steals a glance at the popular girls and she knows that none of them will ever turn her way. She supposes that she will be single forever, but that didn't stop her from craving someone's love. And it certainly didn't stop her from leaning against her locker and staring at them.

Every single morning before class, they were there. They formed a little airtight clique that no one could get into. Hayley took note of their every detail. Angie always wore large golden hoops while Olivia couldn't go anywhere without her signature pastel blue ribbon which she fashioned into a choker. Then there was Jasmine with her chestnut auburn curls and Blake who usually had headphones around her neck. Last but not least, Sienna who sported tiny diamond studs and blond beach waves tied into a ponytail. They were all pretty and irresistible to Hayley which only made her pain so much more unbearable.

Her eyes follow their every move as they talk and laugh. From Sienna's slight head toss which sent her golden curls bouncing, to Olivia's extravagant hand gestures.

She tilted her neck to get a better view and noticed that Angie was looking right at her. Hayley placed her backpack into the locker and closed it. Angie whispered to Jasmine and then all of them murmured quietly. She was still watching them and by now all of the girls had obviously caught on. They look at her with amusement and disgust all wrapped in one. Their eyes seemed to judge Hayley's every move. Before they could say anything, she faintly smiles and walks right past them without saying a word.

The usual routine, like always there aren't any words exchanged. Hayley walks down the hallway and turns at the corridor. Arriving at the third floor atrium, she takes a deep breath. All the dancers gather here and she watches them with envy every morning. From those who break dance to those who do ballet, she's jealous of it all. The way they express themselves through just body movements was very alluring. She wishes that she could dance like they do in front of people. What better way to show what you felt than through the way you move. For Hayley there isn't anything above that.

Sitting on the floor and clutching her books, she watches them until the bell rings. She gets up and proceeds to walk away, but just then someone touches her shoulder. She turns around and stares into a pair of hazel eyes. She tilts her head with her interest piqued. The girl shyly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Hey, I'm Amber. I just wanted to ask if you would like to meet up with me after school, here."

Hayley only continues staring, confused at her sudden question.

"Oh! I'm not trying to hit on you or anything. I'm straight, but I just wanted to know if you'd like to dance with me sometime. It's just that you're always watching, you know..." Amber trails off, unsure whether or not to continue. Hayley didn't know how to take this. Nobody has ever invited her to go anywhere ever since they found out about her.

"If you don't want to, it's-"

"No!" Hayley cuts her off and averts her eyes. "I'd actually love to, but I kind of have to run off to class right now."

Hayley starts to run off and Amber calls out, "Okay, I'll see you after school then." Hayley stops in her tracks and turns around to wave at her. Amber waves back and Hayley turns back around continuing to run trying to suppress a smile. She could barely wait until 3:30 to meet up with Amber. She arrives at the classroom on the fourth floor and enters. In that moment, the people in the classroom stare at her and start talking. Setting her bag down next to her seat, she pulls out her math notebook and prepares for class. The chatter was normal and it usually bothered her, but today was different. Time seemed to pass slowly, even more so than usual.

Gravel To Tempo: HayleyXBlakeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara