Chapter 1: The Invitation (Intro)

2013 Copyright - All Rights Reserved

This book contains explicit language, racial slurs, and stereotypes. If you cannot handle it, please do not read.

~

When I was ten years old I punched a kid named Billy Preston who lived in my neighborhood for being racist. I remember it clear as day. My mother had dropped my best friend, Danielle, and I off at Billy's house for a play date. We went straight to his backyard and began playing tag. Danielle and I were winning like crazy and Billy was angry because he kept being "it". He started to cry and we asked him what was wrong.

"You're cheating! Only niggers cheat!"

I knew that word wasn't supposed to be spoken out loud. Especially by Billy Preston. Without thinking my fist landed on his nose, making a cracking sound, and I vomited as soon as I saw blood.

That same day Billy's parents made him apologize for using such language and I apologized for breaking his nose. I hit him pretty hard. While Billy was being tended to upstairs by his mother, my mom had a chat with his dad. I didn't know what they were saying but by the looks of it it didn't seem pretty.

After the whole fiasco my mom took Danielle home and when we were alone I asked her where Billy learned that word from.

"Let's just say the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. But, promise me Kendall you will treat everyone with respect no matter what color they are, understood?"

I looked down at the ice pack that was cooling my bruised hand and nodded.

"I promise."

After that night I never talked to Billy Preston again.

~

Bayside Veterinary Clinic was the busiest I had seen it all year. Maybe it was because the holidays were coming up and people wanted their pets to have all their checkups over and done with. Whatever it was, it had animals standing all around, worried owners running back and forth and it made me want to rip my hair out. But, I did partly manage the place so I had to keep everything in order. Once I finished giving a cute, little Yorkshire Terrier his monthly vitamin shot I made my way to the main hall to all the commotion.

Most of the customers were arguing with the workers about their pet and I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. We definitely didn't need to have another holiday special again. To get everyones attention I whistled loud enough to pierce ears and suddenly all eyes were on me.

"If everyone would just please be patient and take a seat I'm sure we will get you everything you need." I said, smiling.

The customers kept staring so I made my way over to the checkout table.

"If you need to checkout and have the holiday discount special please line up here. If you still need your pet to be seen please take a seat by the labs."

I watched with satisfaction as people began yanking out their holiday coupons and scrambled to the checkout while others made their way to the lab waiting area. I sighed in relief and went back to tending the pets.

After a long day of the holiday rush the clinic was coming to a close and once I got prepared to leave I was bombarded by my best friend.

"So, there was a holiday special and you didn't tell me? I could've brought Shady, he needs a checkup."

I smirked and walked outside to my car, Danielle following in pursuit. "Danielle, Shady isn't even your dog okay? He's your boyfriend's and I thought you didn't even like the mutt?"