Twenty-Six

I could hear the birds singing along with the wind rustling against the leaves. I can hear the mixture of a stream of water and the falling of water together at once. I breathe in the scent of fresh Eucalyptus leaves and moist dirt. I move my fingers and they dig into the moist ground beneath me. I open my eyes and I have a clear sideway view of the same waterfall I have encountered two weeks ago on Halloween.

The side of my body lays on the cold ground and I can feel the soft spray of water touching my bare skin. I slide my body up to a sitting position and I take in my surroundings. I'm alone. I'm lost with words, unsure of how I got here. The water in the creek is completely clear, and I'm able to see the golden brown and grey rocks. Most of the rocks are covered by moss, creating a beautiful mixture of colour in the creek.

The water of the waterfall is white, reflecting the light from the sun above. I stand up and feel the black dress I wear fall to my feet. I begin walking closer towards the waterfall. My bare feet are now in the water, touching the smooth rocks. The water spray gets stronger.

I feel a strong pull to the waterfall as though it is calling out to me. My dark hair is pushed back from the force of wind coming from the waterfall. I lift my hand reaching towards the waterfall. Slowly the tip of my fingers come closer to the water, my heart beating with each step I take. The light slowly darkens; the sun being replaced with the moon. Before my fingers could touch the falling water, I pause.

"Sorina," the voice whispers. It is soft and kind.

I notice I'm breathing heavily. I pull my hand away from the waterfall. I take a step back, trying to retreat from the fall.

"Sorina," I hear again. I stop where I'm standing and I look to my left. There she is standing in the most graceful stance I have seen. Her flawless skin glows under the moonlight and her white dress and dark hair flows with the wind.

"Who are you?" I ask. She is the same woman I have seen when dad was driving to our new home in Havenwood. The woman who told me to run.

She doesn't respond, she looks at me with sincerity in her eyes. I feel like that I should know her, her presence feels comforting and familiar. Yet, I couldn't recognise her.

"Who are you?" I repeat.

She stands there. She doesn't move and allows the wind to push her hair and dress to the side. She looks like an enchantress. Beautiful and conserved.

"It's coming," she says with pain.

"What's coming?" I ask, taking a step closer towards her.

"It's coming," she repeats and she fades away. She disappeared into the darkness. I call her back, the woman in white but she doesn't return. I am left alone in the darkness, by the waterfall.

"What's coming?" I call out, hoping I would hear a response.

I turn to look the other side and I am faced with a dark face with bright blue eyes.

I sit up from my bed, panting. The memory of those demonic eyes carved into my mind. The room is dark and the only source of light is seeping through the curtains from outside.

"Another nightmare?" Dani asks.

I look to my right and see Dani sitting on the chair beside the window. I lean over and turn on my bedside lamp. The room instantly lit up and I see Dani.

I nod, "Yeah," I say, moving my legs closer to my chest. I wrap my arms around my leg as I lean my chin on my knees.

"You're having one every night since I started sleeping over. Is this normal?" Dani asks.