☀︎One

"peccatum et recte"

SKYLAR laid on her bed in her parent's home with her best friend, Maya. She couldn't even begin to wind down after the wild game against Louisville she just witnessed, and that wasn't even the main reason why she was so wired.

Every time she closed her eyes Devin's face showed up. She was still reeling from the fact that the experience she had been running from for two years happened by chance at a basketball game with thousands of people. Fate, you could even call it. A concept Skylar was thinking about believing in after literally running into her baby daddy, long lost lover, ex-bae, whatever the hell Devin was to her.

"Sooo at what point can I expect to hear all the juicy details about Devin Jr. meeting Devin...Sr.?!!" Maya obnoxiously asked with a smirk.

I looked at her and rolled my eyes, "Seriously, Maya? That's what you're going to ask?"

Maya sat up in the bed and looked back at Skylar with wide eyes and a surprised facial expression, "Devin gotdang Booker carried y'all's child back to your seat at the game tonight, and you want me to just act like that didn't happen? As if his fine ass can be ignored anyway? You need to cut it, Sky! I want the rundown!"

Skylar sat up and sighed, still not looking Maya in the eyes. Her thoughts were all over the place as she tried to process the fact that her son had finally met his father. Even after sitting stoically through the second half of the game that went down to the last possession, Skylar still didn't know where they'd go from here. Devin had been texting her ever since the game ended, but she hadn't found it in her heart to respond, which she knew was wrong. Skylar was just in shock. Absolute shock. And complete embarrassment. Devin would probably hate her guts for all of eternity. And now they'd never have a shot at a relationship.

Maya, being the persistent person she is, snapped multiple times in Skylar's face, attempting to bring her back to reality.

"Come on, Skylar, just snap out of it, and tell me what happened! I'm sure it'll make you feel better. Besides, you've only got me for another half hour before I go back to campus, so you better make it quick, missy," Maya demanded.

Skylar had chosen to move back home with her parents as soon as she found out she was pregnant. Not only would she be able to better hide her pregnancy, but her parents would be able to help her take care of DJ around the clock. Especially when she had to go to class.

Skylar sighed and looked at Maya. The one person outside of her family who had been there for her throughout her entire journey into single motherhood.

"You're right. Ok here's how it went down..." Skylar began to recount the life-changing events of the night.

☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎☀︎

Devin stared at his phone and paced around his hotel room, trying to not get pissed that Sky refused to answer his text messages. He was supposed to fly back to Phoenix in the morning and needed to have some sort of plan in place for how this entire situation would be handled.

Skylar had already avoided this one time. He wouldn't allow her to do it again. Just those ten minutes with his son changed his life, and he vowed the moment he found out that Skylar had kept his son from him that DJ wouldn't have to go without a father for the rest of his life. He couldn't even process what he was thinking and feeling about Skylar, he just knew that he was a father, and he would not be absent from his son's life.

"Answer me, Sky," Devin growled, sending a fourth text.

Today, 11:00pm