☀︎Eight

I dedicate this chapter to gobeyondthestars and mkexkay!! I really appreciate the votes and comments! Your support is so encouraging! ☺️😍💖

"pars familiae duo testimonii"

"THREE years ago I was scared. Terrified, actually. I had no idea how I was going to raise a child while being in college, and I knew good and well that Devin's future was up in the air since he was declaring. Does that make my decision right? Not at all, but I was never malicious."

When it was clear that the grandparents were going to let Skylar speak, Devin sat back down and linked hands with her once again. She didn't know what her next statement was going to cause, but she was going to say it anyway.

"Devin and I were in a completely different place when we were freshmen. I was falling in love with him, and we were throwing caution to the wind and losing focus on our priorities, and I knew that I needed to fix that if I was going to bring a child into this world..."

Devin's heart fell into his stomach when he heard Skylar's words. Could it really be true that he wasn't the only one who felt what he felt three years ago? All this time he had been so angry, not just because Skylar had kept his son from him, but because he thought the only reason she could do it so easily was because she didn't care for him like he cared for her. She had abandoned him. Cut him off without any explanation. The only way he'd been able to move on was to rationalize her actions and just assuming that she thought their relationship was casual. And even after telling himself that day after day, year after year, he still held out hope that his feelings were reciprocated.

"I also didn't want to be the reason that Devin's career was sabotaged. The news of a child could've caused him to make sacrifices that would've affected his chances to make it in the NBA, and I just couldn't have that on my conscience. The way Devin talked about basketball, and being like you, Melvin, I just, I would've never forgiven myself if he never made his dream come true," Skylar explained, opening up about her decision in a way that she hadn't done so in years.

Melvin and Veronica's demeanors immediately changed. For Melvin, when Skylar spoke of how much she wanted Devin to be able to achieve his dream, and for Veronica when Skylar spoke of how she knew how irresponsible she'd become due to the feelings she had for Devin. Skylar's youth became very apparent to them, and her authenticity let them know that she really was just trying to do what was best for her, for Devin, and for their child.

"So, Melvin, Veronica, I apologize for robbing you of your first couple years as grandparents. And I apologize for robbing you, Devin, of fatherhood as well. Family is so important to me, and I understand how I have spoiled a family bond for you all to a certain degree," Skylar continued, her words easily flowing as this burden she'd been carrying was lifted from her heart and mind, "I just want to say that I am ready to do whatever it takes to fix this, and that's part of why we called you all here today. I know with me being a senior and looking for jobs, and Devin being in the middle of his season, we can't do this on our own. We need as much help as we can get. So, I understand if it takes you some time to forgive me or be able to stand to be in the same room as me, but please, please don't punish our son for my decision."

Feeling Devin squeeze her hand let Skylar know that she had done well. She looked into his eyes and saw something she couldn't quite put her finger on. All she knew is that his look caused her to sigh and smile, happy to finally have opened up with him, and grateful that he didn't seem to be harboring any ill will towards her.