Chapter 3 - A Nice Surprise

"Wow... You guys live in a mansion?" Zoe exclaimed when we pulled up outside the Way household, she had started to perk up from the earlier incident.

"It's not a mansion Zo..." I laughed, although it's certainly the closest the two of us has ever been to a mansion.

The house was impressively large, with a gravel pathway in the middle of two big greens that lead to the front door. I could only imagine what the inside looked like. Lindsays seemingly fashionable taste and both of their artistic natures told me that it was going to be quite amazing.

"I hope you like it," Gerard said, as we all got out of the car, "it's your home now."

"Hey as long as there's food I'm happy," I replied as I got Zoe and I's luggage from the boot.

"Well you're gonna be easy to please," Lindsay laughed.

"She seems quite simple on face value but she's more complicated underneath," Zoe said to the Ways.

"Yeah yeah, how about we save the character development for a rainy day huh?" I raised an eyebrow at Zoe, she was trusting these people too much too soon and it was worrying me.

"Let me show you to your rooms so you can unpack some of your things," Gerard said when we got inside.

We followed him through the hallway and up the stairs. There were six doors in the upstairs hallway: four bedrooms, one bathroom and a spare room that Gerard used for his office.

"Zoe, this will be your room," he said, opening the door on the far left, "both rooms aren't decorated that much, we didn't know what type of person we would be adopting."

"Could we decorate them ourselves?" Zoe asked timidly.

"Of course!" He replied, with a toothy grin, " we can all go out when you've settled in to get what you want for them."

"Awesome!"

The room at the moment, was fairly spacious, with a double bed in the middle of the far wall, a wardrobe on the left wall and a vanity table with a large mirror sat in front of the large window on the right.

"I love it!" She grinned, as she took in the sight of her new room.

"I'm glad you do," Gerard smiled, "I'll leave you to get settled then."

We watched her put her bags down and then throw herself onto her new bed, giggling. Gerard closed her door as we chuckled at her and then he gestured to the door opposite hers, telling me that it was my room.

Mine was much the same as Zoe's, except that there was an acoustic guitar in the corner. I quilted an eyebrow at it and looked at Gerard questioningly.

"Well I put it in there earlier, I assumed that we'd chose someone fairly musical or artistic because that's just the way Lindsay and I are," he walked over to the guitar and put his fingertips on the head, "Zoe was talking earlier about how you used to play guitar and sing to get her to sleep so it seemed fitting for you to get this room."

"She told you about that?" I asked, failing to see how it came up in conversation.

"Well you both seemed to want the other to get adopted so you both talked about each other," Gerard frowned a little before laughing, "if that made any sense."

"Yeah it did," I said, chuckling slightly, "she's a good kid."

"You both are," he replied, turning around to smirk at me.

"I'm not a kid..." I said scowling.

"Hate to say it kid but you are." His smirk grew.

"Maybe not in body but I grew up quickly," I said, gazing at the opposite wall as I remembered pieces of my childhood.