“I guess so, why is it that you are always right Ashley?”

***

“So, class are we ready for our new English assignment today?” The class moans as the English teacher, Mrs. Lee passes out the rubric and prompt sheet for our new essay. Writing in English class is something I don’t mind, I’ll lake that I can write about and almost dreaming of going into other places. In maybe it has to do with the fact that I have the highest grade in my class. I stare at the white page with black ink spread across, this new writing assignment is a non-fiction piece on either childhood memory or a traumatic memory you have from this year.

These writing prompts aren’t the best. I would have chosen something else. Since the school year is almost over, only couple of months ago until high school is completed, all the teachers are wanting last memory pieces so we don’t forget where we’ve come from. Just as I decide on childhood memories I notice something in brackets; or a piece of your choosing but you must consult with Mrs. Lee. When I peer through the classroom for the teacher she is helping another student so I glanced up at the clock and see that there is only five minutes left in the day; I decide to talk to her after class.

I stare blankly at the page and begin to think of some prompt ideas for this piece. But nothing comes to mind, my mind is blank. When the bell finally rings, I don’t pack up immediately and take my time but other classmates hurried quickly out of the door. Mrs. Lee goes to her desk in the front of the class and sits on her computer chair staring at the screen. Once I have everything packed but the white piece of paper she handed out earlier I go up to her desk with the paper in hand.

“Mrs. Lee, I have a question for you about the essay.” I say as I stare at her gentle face, wrinkles have begun to take place, but her green eyes make her look younger.

“Yes Ashley, what can I help you with?” Mrs. Lee asks and she looks up at my face, I pull out the piece of paper behind my back and point to where it says I have the choice of my choosing for this piece.

“It says here that I can choose something else for the essay, is there any direct approach you want me to go with?” I asked as Mrs. Lee looks down at the page where I have my finger pointed to the bracket.

“Since your writing is so beautiful, I encourage for you to write about something dramatic or…A lesson you have learned throughout this past year something that has me to open your eyes wider.”

“Okay great, when is this due again?” I asked as I retreat to the white piece of paper.

“In three weeks from now so you have lots of time to think and do drafts I’d be happy to look over your first draft and in your second and then your third.” Mrs. Lee gives her warm gentle smile; I give one in return and say a polite thank you before I leave the classroom.

I leave the English room into the empty hallway, by this time most of the students have left or are almost gone. I followed the square tile to the center of the top floor which presents a staircase I go down the stairs and then straight until I see the parking lot door, once I see it I push it open and go outside in the blazing sun. I begin to search for my set of keys, and as I go towards my car I see Kate leaned up against it.

“How was English today?” Kate asks as I unlock the door and we both go inside.

“It was good, boring though I have an essay due in a few weeks.” I push the key into the ignition and then I begin to hear the engine purr. Kate goes over to the radio and plays with the dials until she is comfortable with the station and volume of her choice. “How was modern history?”

“How do you think it went? “ Kate says dramatically as she whipped her head towards me I know the answer to my question but I felt like asking it anyway. Kate does not like the modern history teacher at all, she complains he’s boring and she feels like she’s at a funeral home except for a class room. “Other than that it was a great day.”