Chapter 15

Who Am I- Chapter 15

Monday went by slowly, almost too slow. Maybe it’s because I wanted my day to go by quickly, since Sam will be home Tuesday and I can’t wait to see him.

“What do you think, Ashley?” Kate asks I get out of my thought process and look at her in bewilderment.

“I’m sorry what were you talking about?” I ask as I play with the straps on my lunch bag, Kate and I sit outside in the courtyard at noon hour. Kate has been rambling on something about Alex and I haven’t been able to pay attention, I haven’t even been able to pay attention in class because all it can think about is Sam coming tomorrow.

“I was talking about Alex and how he has been ignoring me. I’m glad you have great listening skills.” Kate says damaged.

“I’m sorry Kate,” I say as I touch her arm. “I haven’t been able to focus lately I’m really sorry to can you go over what you just said.”

“I was talking about how it’s been two days since I last spoke to Alex and I’m pretty sure he is avoiding me.” Kate complains. I let go of her arm and start playing with my lunch bag again. The sun is shining bright on us today making me squint every time I look over Kate.

“Kate, he and Sam have been out of town for the past two days maybe that’s why he hasn’t been able to talk to you.” I tried to explain to her. She throws her hands up in a commotion like the world is ending.

“It is always about that bloody damn hockey.” Kate grumbles. I sigh because I know she will never understand what hockey means Sam and Alex.

“They’re committed to their team, and I guess we just have to respect that and deal with the fact that hockey comes first.” I say quietly not wanting to overwhelm Kate.

“I know,” Kate begins to comprehend and her voice was back to normal. “I just wish I could be with him for more than just one or two days a week.”

“I know, it is hard but they always seem to make it up to us when they’re here for those few days’ right?” I smile and start to think back on the previous states Sam and I have been on, all the smiles, all the laughs and most importantly the kisses.

“That’s true. I guess I really can’t blame him.” Kate agrees, and then she speaks up again. “So your parents really did leave for the week?” Kate asks. When Kate and I drove to school today I she asked about my parent’s car not being in the driveway. She thought they might have had a big fight and left I explained to her that they are just go away on vacation for a week.

“Yes they really did leave, and it’s kind of depressing being alone in the house.” I say truthfully.

“Do you think Erica will go all crazy again? Maybe like maybe throw another party?” Kate asks, I truly never thought of this scenario before; it is the perfect opportunity for Erica to throw a large party and with our parents gone they would never have the chance to know. I guess I will just have to keep an extra close eye on Erica.

“I hope not, and I hope not tomorrow either.” I say and smile because Sam pops into my mind.

“Oh that’s right, Sam’s coming tomorrow isn’t he?” Kate squeals and pokes my sides, “You’re not excited for that are you?” Kate says sarcastically.

“I am just a little excited.” I tried to say nonchalantly but Kate can see right through it.

“Bullshit. I know that you are extremely excited to see Sam, your boyfriend.” Kate begins to saying out the words boyfriend making my cheeks flare with pink.

“Shut up. I can be excited for when he comes and I know you’re going to be excited when Alex comes.” I say trying to distract her from the subject.