Chapter 11 ~ Road Trip With Lunatics

A sudden knock on the door made us break apart. One of the Wolves peeked her head around the doorway and Owen glanced over to her. I blushed scarlet at our closeness and moved away from the bed to stand beside the window.

"Alpha, would you like us to take her back now?" she asked tentatively.

Owen scowled at her and she cowered back slightly.

"No. Angel stays with me." he said, authoritatively.

I smirked as I stared out the window, listening to their conversation. The Wolf nodded nervously and quickly left the room. I heard the sheets rustle and I turned back to look at Owen who had sat up straighter in bed, his back resting against the headboard.

"Owen, don't! You're gonna hurt yourself!" I said, rolling my eyes as I came over to sit beside him once more on the bed.

Reaching a hand up, I checked his bandage to make sure it was still secure. Gently, he took my hand in his and smiled at me.

"I'm fine. Stop worrying so much," he smirked.

I shook my head and smiled.

"I do need to talk to my Wolves though. Now that I'm back, we need to get back to our plan," he continued, trying to lift himself up off the bed.

Putting an arm around his back, I helped him up.

"And what plan would that be?" I asked, picking up his t-shirt to hand to him.

He took it from me and proceeded to slip it over his head. I couldn't hide the look of disappointment that flashed across my face when the t-shirt covered up his abs. Owen arched an eyebrow at me and smirked. I looked away, slightly embarrassed that he'd noticed.

"We found a refuge not far from here. It's a town actually," he went on, grabbing his jacket from the chair.

He winced vaguely as he slipped his injured shoulder into it.

"And there's no people there?" I asked, a bit hesitant.

I trusted Owen but I didn't want to take anything away from anyone. Especially if they'd been there before us. He glanced over to me and smiled. Coming to stand in front of me, he rested his hands on my hips and pulled me closer to him.

"It's going to be fine. I promise," he asked, successfully avoiding my question.

"That's not what I asked," I said, arching my eyebrows at him.

He pushed a wisp of wavy brown hair out of my face with his hand and I shivered as his fingers grazed my skin.

"There are some people there," he relented, "But they have a lot of food, houses, weapons, and what's more is that they have a wall surrounding them,"

"A wall?" I asked, confused.

He nodded, his hands dropping from my waist.

"It surrounds the entire town. It would be enough to protect us from the walkers and the food would last us for months. We can't afford to miss this oppurtunity, Angel." he said, walking over to his green duffel bag that lay on the floor.

He reached into it and pulled out a yellow envelope. Opening it, he took out a photo and handed it to me. In it was a middle-aged brunette man and what looked to be his son who sported a large brown Sheriff's hat. They stood in front of a towering rusted metal wall.

"That's where we're going." he said, pointing to the background.

It did look like a good place. After all, winter would be coming soon and we couldn't last out here a lot longer. Taking the envelope back from me, he threw it into the duffel bag once more and slung it over his good shoulder. I nodded my head in understanding and followed him out the door. After several minutes of walking through the maze of hallways, it opened up into a dark garage. There were two medium-sized food trucks with the same Del Arno Foods logo I had seen earlier.

A group of Wolves were finishing loading weapons and bags into the trucks. So they were planning a fight. They were going to fight the people who lived in the town. Owen must have saw me tense up because just then he wrapped an arm around my waist and led me over to one of the trucks. He opened the passenger door for me and I climbed inside, taking the duffel bag from him. I tossed it onto the floorboard as he walked around the vehicle.

Jumping into the driver's seat, he closed the door and signaled one of the Wolves. He nodded to Owen and the rest of the Wolves got into the other vehicle beside us. Slowly, the large garage door opened and we backed out of the tiny space. Owen and I went out first and the other truck followed behind us. Trees passed by my window while I gazed out the smudged glass. let out a breath and Owen reached a hand out, catching mine in his. He placed a gentle kiss on the back of my hand and I bit my lip as his chocolate-brown eyes returned to the road.

It was going to be a long trip.