Chapter 105

It had been less than three hours and her world had already been turned upside down.

Don't they say 'Trouble doesn't come alone'. That's exactly what Nandini and chachi telepathically realized, when they saw Mr. and Mrs. Dixit's mismatched frames pop out from behind the broad silhouette of Amms. Everything has a breaking point, even anger. If you stretch it too far, it turns into hysteria. That could perhaps explain the gross abnormalities in Nandini's behaviour at the moment.... For, instead of yelling or breaking things, she was reactionless.

She was blank when Amms announced in front of everyone that her marriage was to take place in 48 hours. She was blank when that laurel-hardy couple handed her a bunch of heavy sarees and a box of feather light jewelry to be worn on HER WEDDING. And she was still blank when they told her, her groom had already boarded the flight from Switzerland.

It was only much later, in the kitchen, while helping chachi, that the words actually sank in and fat tears started rolling down her cheeks, one after the other. On the other hand, chachi was panic stricken. Amms had told them she would come and arrange the marriage, she hadn't told them it would be in 48 hours. It almost made her feel like they were thieves, that Nandini had committed a sin and this marriage had been arranged in a hush hush manner, to cover up her scandalous deeds. And as if that wasn't enough, this Dixit couple were getting on her nerves. How would she put a stop to this mayhem and save her child? What was Manik doing, where was all of this leading.... these thoughts were literally chewing up the insides of her brain. How could she console the little girl when her own heart was thumping with fear.

Trying not to create a nasty scene before Neel's parents, both Nandini and chachi were cautiously keeping a distance from Amms. But her inflated ego, wouldn't have let Amms sit through and swallow this. She had to throw her weight around and show her authority, especially now, infront of the Dixits. So she deftly walked up to the kitchen and summoned both the women for an urgent and important discussion.

"Kya chal kya raha hain yahan? " She barged upon as soon as she closed the bedroom door after dragging Nandini and chachi inside.

Nandini and chachi exchanged helpless glances.

"Do you think I am blind, I can't sniff the games you two are plotting here. And you Shanno, sharam nahi aati tumhe, you are supporting this dumb girl in her mistakes. Uske sath milke mere against plan kar rahi ho, itna gir chuki ho? This girl has already embarrassed us before and this time it will be beyond repair and you will be responsible for all this."

Chachi had had enough. The more she tried to avoid a confrontation, the more Amms instigated her. She had to take a stand before things slipped out of her hands altogether. "Maaf kijiyega, par galti to aap kar rahin hain is tarah Neel se Nandini ki zabardasti shaadi karake. Aapko pata bhi hai ki wo larka kaisa hai. Nandini to choriye, wo to kisi bhi larki se shaadi karne ke layak nahi hai."

{With due respect, it you who's making a mistake here by forcing Nandini to marry that jerk. Forget Nandini, no girl deserves to marry him}

"Oh so now you will teach me what's right and what's wrong. Tumhara aur Venkatesh ka bas chale to Nandini sari life kunwari hi pari rahe."

{If it comes to you and Venkatesh, Nandini might never get married}

"Amms.. Aap kuch bhi bole ja rahi hain. Nandini meri beti jaisi hai, beti jaisi kya, beti hi hai. Main uske liye kabhi kuch bura soch hi nahi sakti. Har maa ki tarah, usko khushi khushi vida karna to mera sabse bara sapna hai, par yeh jo aap kar rahin hain wo sahi nahi hai...bilkul sahi nahi hai. Isshe pehle bhi aapne us pandit ko certify kiya tha aur hum sab jante hain ki usne hamari bacchi ke sath kya kiya. Aur ye Neel to usse bhi kai guna zyada gaya guzra hai. Aapko dikhta nahi ya apni Zidd mein aap dekhna nahi chahti?"