Chapter 80

Nandini was two spoons into her cheesecake when her cell beeped.

'Happiest friendship day to the bestest friend in the world. Main aur Ranbir Manik ke ghar gaye the to pata chala you guys are in panchgani. So wont disturb you abhi, apne monster ke saath khub masti karo aur laut te hi phone karna. Waise Manik ki tabiyat thik hai na?'

Nandini had completely forgotten that it was friendship day. She quickly replied 'Happy friendship day to u too my bestie. Here's to us and our forever wali dosti. Manik is ok. Who princi ki wajah se ana para, had to vacate the apartment. Will message u when we reach Mumbai.'

"Happy friendship day Manik." Nandini wished him with an a big smile.

"Shit, aaj friendship day hai? Saale mere doston ne ek call bhi nahi kiya subah se. Abhi unki khabar leta hun." Without even replying to Nandini's wish, he started calling each of his friends one by one.

An hour later , when he was done talking to all four of them, he noticed Nandini looking away, fiddling with the spoon in her hand. She hadn't finished her cheesecake.

"Kya hua Nandini, why did you suddenly turn quiet?"

"Nothing, wo bas aise hi, you were talking on the phone so.." Came her meek reply.

No, this didn't seem just like that. He could clearly make out from the subtle yet sudden change in her expressions that something was bothering her. She could never lie properly, her eyes always gave away her secrets.

"Bolo na kya hua?"

"Kuch nahi, kaha to, why do you ask the same question again and again." Her tone was a little too harsh & she realized it that very moment "I am sorry, wo.. I was thinking about the school." She quickly added.

Another lie, Manik thought.

"Ok, let's go for a walk...the weather is so awesome." It was late afternoon, though it hardly felt like one. The sky was dark and the air was chilly. It had rained a little in the morning and the air still carried the fragrance in it. Manik was bone tired from all the travel and packing, his body desperately needed rest. But then, he was here on a purpose, to pull Nandini out of the gloom she was in & he couldn't just quit in the middle.

****

They had been strolling for some time now and it was only Manik who was continuously trying to keep up a conversation while Nandini just bout managed to throw a 'Hmm' here and there. Tired, he halted.

"Nandini I need a break."

'Break!!' the word was like music to Nandini's ears. In an instant, it transported her back to their old days. She felt nostalgic, remembering, how they used to latch on to each other for support even when they were at logger heads.

"What is it Nandini. Why did you suddenly become sad. Have I done something to upset you?"

She would have to tell him the truth. That was the first rule of granting a 'Break'. She took a deep sigh.

"When we met college, you already had your friends Manik. Eventually I became your girlfriend. I always wanted to be your friend because you are the bestest friend anyone can have. Par maine tumse kabhi nahi kaha because I didn't want to come between you and FAB5. But when we met for the second time, I became your one & only friend, kyunki baki koi to tumhe yaad hi nahi tha." She grinned "Infact you know, tum Navya se jealous the when I told you she was my best friend. You wanted me to be your bestest friend ever and I was like so happy. Idiot ki tarah sochti rahi that you would always consider me your BFF. Main bhul gayi thi ki once you remember your original friends, you would no more consider me a friend. Tabhi to you didn't even wish me in reply. But I am not angry with you..its just that.."