nine // when you fall, everyone stands

--Benji's P.O.V--

"Joseph, you are being sent out on a mission."

I glanced up from my book at Senior Chief Everett. "I thought all the missions were already covered."

"You need to go and help your brother," he simply responded. "Now get dressed."

Bowser was definitely a better rescue swimmer than I was even though I had been on more missions than he had. However, I was informed that he was sent out less than me because they wanted him to go out in more dangerous conditions. Some people that thought that news would devastate me, but I honestly didn't care. I was still doing my job.

I was dressed instantly and darting out into the command center where everyone was monitoring the helicopter radios.

"Joseph, the helicopter that is going to take you out is almost ready," Senior Chief explained. "Your brother's radio signal has been cut off from the helicopter and no one knows if he's okay or not. He got lowered down on the fishing vessel and was seen entering the boiler room for the captain, but never came out."

I nodded. "I'll get him."

"The conditions out there are very bad. If push comes to shove and everything goes to hell, I want you to get out of there. If you can't save him, I want you to leave him behind. We can not lose both of you, understand me?"

"Yes, sir."

"Now, go!"

•••

As I was being lowered down onto the ship, I knew that I had only a few minutes to find my brother and get us out. The ship was taking on water quickly.

The wind and rain made it very hard to land safely on the deck, but I was close enough where I could unhook my harness and jump. I didn't land on my feet first thing, but I ended up rolling and clumsily pulling myself to a standing position.

"He's in the boiler room, which is off to your right," Michael, the man that operated the cable, explained to me through the walkie-talkie on my shoulder.

I made my way towards the bottom of the sinking ship as fast as I possibly could. My feet sloshed through the water as I screamed for my brother. "Bowser! Where are you?"

No response.

I waded my way through the water that was now up to my knees. "Bowser Noel! Answer me!"

"Benji?"

My head darted towards the sound of my brother's voice and my eyes could barely make out a door at the end of the hall. I hurried towards it. "Bowser, are you okay?"

"The door's stuck, Benji!" He responded. "I can't get it open from this side!"

"I see what's going on," I yelled, scanning the metal door. "I'll have you out as fast as I can."

"Hurry, my head's barely above water and I'd rather not die in here!"

The door handle was jammed and the only way to get my brother out of the boiler room was to break it off. "Benji, hurry!"