Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

After many long moments I pulled away from Harry just a bit. His warm body kept me safe in the cold air.

“I’ll be right back,” He mumbled, “can you take Toby to the car?”

 I glanced down at the little boy to see his eyes filled with fear and confusion. Nodding slowly I reached down and grasped Toby’s hand. Harry brushed past both of us pressing the keys into my free hand.

“You okay Genevieve?” Toby asked as we walked into the parking lot and towards Harry’s black car.

I nodded slowly regaining my composure. Opening the door I slid Toby into his car seat and strapped him in. Shutting the door shut I moved forward and pulled open the passenger door and placed myself into the seat. I could still feel the tears sliding down my cheeks but I choose to ignore them.

“You going to take me to Pre-k?” Toby asked kicking his legs.

Shifting my body in the seat so I was facing him, “I don’t know yet! When Harry gets back we’ll see what he says.”

Toby nodded and went back to kicking his legs. Shifting my position back facing forward I took a deep breath. It was clear to me now desperately I needed Harry. He was my strength, but also my weakness. When you put the two together it leads to a deadly storm.

If I had never began to interact with him I would have been off alright. I would have made it through the next two years of high school and gotten out with a little less than a scratch, but I would have been alone. It was inevitable. But with Harry I was vulnerable for attack, taking not only my outcast persona on but his too. We were a complete mess together.

Like the eye of a hurricane. When we were together in the middle, everything was clam, but the moment you stepped out of our little bliss of heaven it was a wild and filled with wreckage.

“So I talked to Miss Able,” Harry stated sliding into the car breaking me from my thought.

I turned to him and he wore a weak, gentle smile on his face.

“You don’t have to go back today.” He whispered brushing the hair of my eyes, “Miss Able is going to put you in as medically excused.”

I nodded slowly and glanced back at Toby who was watching both Harry and I with bright and interested eyes. As Harry situated himself in the seat he reached over carefully placing my backpack on my lap so he wouldn’t touch the roses. When he did my entire body went cold.

He had gone back into the dreaded classroom and gotten my stuff for me, which means he faced Lindsey and her band of evil followers.

Setting the backpack on the floor I signed, “How did you manage to get my stuff?”

Harry smirked and turned the ignition on so the car roared to life, “you don’t need to worry about that.” Turning his torso so he could pull out backwards he spoke to Toby, “so you ready to go to Pre-k?”

Toby nodded with a smile spread wide across his face, “can Genevieve walk me in too?”

Harry put the car in drive then glanced quickly at me his eyes asking the question for him. I smiled brightly and nodded. As we drove Harry rested his hand on the center console leaving his palm facing upward. I knew what he wanted but I wasn’t sure if I was ready to show it. I had told my mother last night that I thought I was in love with him, now it was clear he had feelings for me too.

“Come on Toby!” Harry spoke putting the car in park and opening his door.

I soon did the same, standing at the front of the car I waited patiently for Toby and Harry. When the finally reached me Toby reached out with his free hand and took hold of mine so he was stationed between Harry and me.