I

Killing and sealing demons were the main purposes of the goddesses on earth. To save humans from being their prey and slowly making their race extinct. Yes, that is the goddesses' goal, to rid the world of the tainted creatures that wreak havoc among all clans' peace.

Every year at the strike of midnight on the first of November, the demons and goddesses go to war. Be it up in the sky or a secluded place in the forest away from civilization. The two clans fight for honor and authority; whoever won would have the upper hand. The goddesses always won, and the demons always had to surrender under their glorious wings, albeit them in full form.

The goddesses always chose the perfect commander when the war approached. They were wise and tactical, while the demons' past commanders were always above their own heads, driven by hunger to kill and the greed for power. Every year, that was the case.

However, this year, the demons chose a particular demon to command them. He was Meliodas, a gem in the thousands of rusty iron that are the warriors of his clan. He wasn't driven by the want and need to kill, and he thought before he acted; he always had a plan up his sleeve, and although he was recorded as the most skilled and strongest demon out of all the warriors, he kept it to a low and was never recognized up until recent.

Of course, the goddesses had predicted this, and in the same year, they had chosen the appointed apostle's goddess, Elizabeth. She was a powerful and ruthless goddess behind her sweet smile, and with her strength, she had her tactics and predictions in her head. Elizabeth was feared and honored and was perfect for going against Meliodas.

However, everyone has flaws. 

Inspect an area for any demons.

That was Elizabeth's everyday task in the morning. From the heavens, she would fly down to a specific area that she was assigned to and make sure that there weren't any demons lurking about, waiting for a human to attack and devour.

Today, Elizabeth was given the task to go to a forest near an unguarded village. As soon as she landed on the grass, the felt the presence of a demon, she immediately went on the defensive and looked around. She concentrated on where the presence was coming from, and let her feet drag her there. She stopped at a small meadow in the middle of the forest. For a second, Elizabeth forgot the reason for being there because of the serenity of the scene.

A fluff of blond hair took her attention, it seemed to be a boy laying in the middle of the meadow. Elizabeth furrowed her brows, trying to make out what or who was there. This was the demon she sensed? It looked like a young human boy. The only odd thing there was that he was barefoot like her, and that wasn't much.

Elizabeth didn't move from her spot, she was still cautious of him. She was determined that he was what she was sensing, especially because there was no one else with them. The boy sat up, and Elizabeth watched as he rose up and immediately met eyes with her. There was another thing that was odd, his eyes seemed like an abyss.

"What's a human doing in these parts?"

Elizabeth blinked, she should be the one asking that question. She did look like a human, she was wearing a simple white dress that she wore in a rush, and she didn't have her wings out like most goddesses. She knew that he was a demon, but she decided to play along, "just wandering about, what are you doing here? Aren't you a human too?"

He stared at her for a bit before nodding, "sure." He then went back to lay down on the grass, "come here often?" Elizabeth didn't know why he was acting this way, he surely knew she was a goddess. She continued on, "no, I found this just now, you as well." They were quiet for a bit before he sat up again to look at her.

"Want to take a seat? The sky's pretty," He patted the space next to him. Elizabeth shook her head, she knew he was a demon, and she didn't know who he was and why he was acting such a way, "it's okay, I'll just stay here for a bit." It would be dangerous if she'd get attacked days before the war.

"You're being careful," he commented. Elizabeth realized the underlying message behind it, "well, I don't know you. It would be careless of me to sit next to each other out of the blue. I wouldn't want to be suddenly smuggled, I have nothing to offer."

A chuckle escaped from his lips, and the sound made Elizabeth smile. "Well let's get to know each other then, what's your name?" He asked, then sat up again to cross his legs and set all his attention on Elizabeth, who was still standing at a distance. She debated whether to use a fake or real name, but she figured it was time to stop the game they were playing.

"Elizabeth," she watched his eyes widen in surprise, finally knowing who she was. "Meliodas." It was her turn for her eyes to widen in surprise. Both of the commanders had to meet at such a place days before their battle. She blinked, and so did Meliodas. They didn't know how to continue their conversation after knowing such information.

"I see," Elizabeth cleared her throat, his dull eyes still staring back at her, "unique name, Meliodas." He blinked at the mention of his name, he imagined his name would be first uttered by the goddesses' commander during the battle with blood splattered all around them. But no, it was at a peaceful meadow and it was through a compliment.

"Yours suits you as well," Meliodas returned the compliment. Elizabeth only gave him a smile as a reply, and they were silent again. Elizabeth sighed, knowing that she couldn't fight Meliodas even if she needed to, it wasn't the right place, there would be many casualties, she knew what he was capable of, and so did he. They would cause a wreck, and they were near a fragile village. "I'll be on my way then, Meliodas." She turned around to walk but was stopped at the sound of his voice.

"You could have killed me, miss commander."

Elizabeth turned slightly, she was met with Meliodas' wings out and the mark on his forehead matched with the color of his abyss-like eyes. She instinctively readied herself to cast a spell, "I wasn't provoked." Meliodas chuckled at her, immediately deactivating his mark and his wings gone in a second, "I see you're fit for the job, Elizabeth."

She refused to let her guard down, but she knew she wouldn't be able to cast a spell. "I could say the same, Meliodas. But please, leave this place, I wouldn't want to fight you now." Meliodas nodded at her request and brought out his wings again, "seems fair." He flapped his wings before going in midair, "see you at the battlefield, goddess."