17. You find out you're pregnant

With your hands tucked under your thighs, you kicked your feet back and forth out of nervousness. There was a knock on the door to which you said, "Come in!"

Your doctor entered with a smile on her face.

"Hello, (Y/N). How are you?"

You smiled to hide your nervousness. "I'm good."

She placed her folder that held your information on the counter. "So, I understand that you took a pregnancy test and it came up positive?"

You nodded, "The nurses had me take another one and they went off to get results."

She nodded to confirm, "I have the results written down right here."

You couldn't help the twist in your stomach twist tighter at what she said. "You do?"

She nodded. "What did it say?!" You asked.

"Instead of telling you, I want to show you," the words that fell from her mouth and her contagious smile caused you to smile as you laid back so she could rub some gel on your relatively flat stomach.

Before you could think anything of it, the sound of a strong heartbeat filled the room and you lit up with joy when the doctor turned her screen towards you. There, in your stomach, was a tiny moving person living inside of you. You couldn't keep your eyes off the screen.

"T-That's a baby. That's a real love baby inside me."

The doctor smiled at your excitement and shock before taking the camera off and wiping your stomach with a cloth.

"(Y/N)..."

You sat up at the doctor's trailing voice.

"You understand that you shouldn't be having this baby. Just two months ago we tested you, and found that you were infertile."

"But I'm pregnant. You saw the ultrasound."

She nodded, "(Y/N), you are indeed pregnant. What I'm saying, is there is a good chance of complications during your pregnancy because you were originally infertile."

You zoned out to take a moment to process what she said. You and Max had been trying to get pregnant for a year when Max thought the two of you should see someone to get tested. That only confirmed your worst fears: you and Max were unable to have children together. The very doctor sitting on a shorter stool in front of you suggested a surrogate but that was too expensive to even think about. It wasn't until you felt nauseous in the morning the past couple days that you decided to take a home pregnancy test. When the test came up positive you thought it was wrong but came into the doctor because you just wanted to confirm.

"So what are you saying?" You asked nervously.

She sighed heavily, "What I'm saying is, don't be surprised if this baby doesn't make it before your due date. We will monitor you and the baby and we will do everything in our power to help if something comes up. But for now, I suggest you go home and think of a way to break the news. I'm assuming you haven't told Max yet?"

You took the ultrasound picture she held out to you and shook your head, "No, I-I didn't want to get our hopes up for nothing. I wanted to be sure, you know?"

She nodded, "I know. I've been there. For now, go celebrate because you're pregnant and right now the both of you are healthy."

You smiled and thanked her before she left for you to change back into your clothes. You tucked the picture of your new baby safely in your wallet before leaving the office and driving home. You knew Max would be there when you got home so there was no time to go to the store to pick up something's to break the news to Max in a creative way.

When you walked into the house, Max was sprawled across the couch watching a soccer game on TV. You placed your bag on the kitchen counter and walked behind the couch and kissed his forehead.

"Hey," he said, surprised to see you, "Where have you been?"

You moved around to the front of the couch and sat with him. "I went to the doctor."

He furrowed his eyebrows, "Is everything ok?"

You nodded your head smiling not trying to hide your tears of joy, "Everything couldn't be better."

Max stayed silent waiting you for you to explain, "Max, I'm pregnant."

Max stared at you blankly, "But the doctor said you were infertile?"

You nodded, "I've been feeling nauseous in the morning the past few days so I bought a home pregnancy test. When that came up positive I decided to go to the clinic to have them test me and it came up positive. Max I saw the heartbeat and the baby moving. I'm pregnant. We're going to have a baby."

Overcome with so many emotions, Max sat up and brought you into a bone splitting hug. You let go quickly and pushed him away slightly.

"Max, the doctor said that we shouldn't get too attached. She said that since I was originally infertile that there is a good chance of complications popping up along the way. She said that there's a good chance it won't make it past the due date."

Max processed what you said. He placed his hand over your belly, "Don't worry (Y/N). We'll make the best of it and we'll fight through this together; as a family."

r","h6P