The Girl That Never Speaks

This is a rewrite, its very different to the old version and I like it better like this. Please don't copyright any of my work in this book, this purely all came from my imagination and no scenes, characters, or plots have been taken. These are purely mine. So please don't take any of it.

Started: July 2016

Finished: April 2017

Re-writing: Sept 25, 2018

On-going

I hope you enjoy and please let me know if there are any typos so I can fix them!

Prologue:

The snow never bothered me. I wake up to a thin blanket of snow coating the streets of New York. Even though its barely an inch, the city keeps bustling around it as if it was the middle of July. I pick up my copy of Romeo and Juliet that I left on my nightstand as I begin to tidy up my room. 

My suitcase laid open with an ensemble of all the clothing I was taking on our small vacation. We were set to leave tomorrow morning, but the loud whoop I heard from my sister Louise announces that it is enough snow to make my mom pull us out of school. 

My dad as he shakes his head amused but not surprised at my mom's decision, "It's just one day out of the school year," she convinces him with a peck on the cheek.

My dad smiles genuinely pleased that we were taking a longer vacation. His job didn't allow him much time to spend with us due to him always traveling. This weekend was going to be a rare occurrence for us that we were all looking forward to. His peppered hair reminds me if how old he's getting. 

He goes back to reading his newspaper as he does every morning. I can tell Dad is happy. The unexpected snowfall lets him cancel any work he has, so its an unexpected day off. 

Louise sits next to him at the table humming to a songs she's obsessed with. I ruffle her hair annoyingly until her blue eyes find mine with a glare. "Theo! I just brushed my hair."

I chuckle as I sit next to her. My mom, a late woman in her forties, didn't look her age. Her dark hair was cut into a mom bob but despite dying it constantly, small strands of gray hair peaked out. "Theo, leave your sister alone."

I grab a piece of toast and head back into my room to finish up packing. I shoot a text to my girlfriend, Jessica, letting her know I wouldn't see her until Monday. The instant reply lets me know she probably isn't too happy about the news, but I ignore it and keep packing the last essential needs.

"Theo?" I hear my mom call out from somewhere in the apartment. "The taxi is here." 

"I'm coming!" I yell as I unplug my phone and grab my headphones. My suitcase rolls behind me almost silently. I stop at the hallway mirror and try to fix my unruly dark hair, I sigh and turn back to grab a cap before I meet my parents and Louise at the front door. I roll my eyes amused as I spot Louise's large pink suitcase.

"You do know we're only going for a weekend, right?" I tease. Louise sticks her tongue out of me and begins walking behind mom, who's already halfway down the hallway. 

"You got everything, kid?" My dad asks, as he locks up. "I think so," I tell him. We step out of the building in silence. A patch of sunlight has peaks out through the clouds as we make our way to the taxi. 

We pile into the car and almost immediately Louise shuts the world out with her purple earbuds. Ah, the beginning of teenage hood. She was going to be a tough one for my parents. Not that I wasn't but being the first born was more difficult than being the baby of the family. Dad silently types away at his phone, no doubt perfecting the last details for his job. 

Mom read a book in silence. Meanwhile I tapped my fingers to the rhythm of the song quietly playing on the radio. The road was packed heavily with traffic, but once we had made it out of the city we settled into a comfortable speed. There was still some patches of snow, but it was mostly just wet now. I rested my head on the against the car window and watched the scenery zip by past us. The clouds above were still heavy with rain predicting some rainfall later today. 

I asked the driver if he could turn down the heat as the windows keep fogging up, obscuring the only entertainment I had. He shortly changed the radio station to the news station after that. I decided not to bother him anymore. I close my eyes, deciding to try and take a nap instead. 

Both cars try to swerve out of the way before its too late, but it already is. The car is devitalized. The blow of a four ton pick up truck going seventy miles an hour smashing into the back seat side had the force to almost throw us over. 

There was so much noise. The screeching of tires, the sound of hard metal hitting, yet the radio still played the news. Doors had been torn off and glass had been broken. At first I thought everything was okay, but the pop of the airbag exploding next to me had my ear ringing. I cringed as nausea hit me and dizziness. 

I didn't know how long I laid there. I tried calling out for my mom, my sister and dad, but my voice wouldn't come out. I felt like I was yelling at the top of my lungs but no noise would come out of my throat. Thats when I see the sirens in the distance but before I can shout for help, everything goes black.