Chapter 14: Player, Player; Liar, Liar

ابدأ من البداية

I wasn't prepared to talk about them yet but I wasn't even surprised when I started to tell him about them. "They were...the perfect parents' anyone can ever ask for. They never made me feel that I was different. They knew every side of me and yet accepted me as I am." 

His eyes held confusion as he brushed his hands through his hair. "Pax, you're kind of talking about them in past tense. And what do you mean by you're different?" 

I blinked back the numbness running through me and answered him shrugging. "Because they are dead."

It was really sad to think that I should have at least feel bad but it was like I felt nothing. I still breathe, my heart still beats but I was completely detached from showing any normal reaction. And, that's why my parents used to say that I was a unique gem to hold onto. 

"Pax, you don't have to say anymore if you don't want to," Chris said too quietly, placing his hands over mine. I shook my head and kept going.

"I want to. They were in so much love, you know. They used to say 'we only lose the things we love and care.' So, I just stopped altogether." 

He murmured only for me to hear. "Stop what?" 

"Care. I just stopped caring." 

He inhaled loudly and held my chin up making me look at his determined eyes. "Well, you are wrong. You still care. Do you hear me? You're not a shell. I've seen you do that. On a daily basis, you protect your brother and your friends. You risk your life for them. You live for them. So, never tell me that you don't care cause I refused to believe that." 

Without notice, a lopsided smile formed on my face. Seeing me smile, he gave me a full born grin before starting his side of the story. 

"My parents are a different story. Since when I started to understand I saw mom coming home only to leave for parties, you know she left me with her hair styler when I was 4 months baby? Hell, she even forgot that she had a baby to collect, only when my nanny reminded her, she came to pick me up. And dad...he is always strict so I didn't have any chance for fun, unlike normal teenagers. I just had one routine; wake up, eat, go to school, come home, study, sleep and then continue the cycle for years." 

God...they are even worse than I thought. 

This time I gripped his hands tightly letting him know that I understood. He gave me a small smile before turning serious. "You still didn't tell me what did you mean by different." 

I realized I was holding my breath and slowly released it. I thought for a second how I found myself in this situation. I was never weak or afraid of the past that at that moment I realized what Chris meant. I was letting my past haunt me.

"This heavy heart to heart to talk doesn't go well with me, nerd. So is there something else you planned?″ I asked to avoid the serious talking that was coming and maybe realizing it Chris chuckled.

"You are something else."

"Tell me about it." I joked. Grinning he moved away from me and opened the basket. What he had in his hand, made me look twice.

"You got to be kidding me, right?″ I snorted.

"What? I thought it'll distract you from mopping around." He sheepishly replied handing me a calculus book.

"You thought to get my brain fried was a method of distraction?″ I tried to look hurt but the smile that was threatening to come gave it away.

"At least give me some credit. We can both get good grades in finals." He winked and laughing we started to solve calculus or known as the human brain fried machine. And that's how ladies and gentlemen we accidentally got asleep together.

♡♡♡

"How was it?″ Kara's overly curious gaze met mine and I scrawled. It wasn't like Chris and I had made out or something, we just couldn't resist the sleep, that's all.

"Yeah, tell me about it.″ Myra also looked at me, expected to hear the details as they first grabbed me to have lunch with them.

"Alex, don't you think these two are too much curious?″ I asked Alex ignoring the two who were pouting their lips funnily.

"Well, you did spend the night with the nerd, literally or not." She dismissed me waving a hand but I swear I saw a hidden smile forming.

"Ew, I so didn't need to hear that." Max retorted slumping to the seat beside me with his lunch tray and at that moment I feel like I could hug him all day. At least someone is with me!

"Dear brother, where have you been all day? These three ruined my ear off." I complained narrowing my eyes at the three and they smirked knowingly.

As soon as I entered the school today, they bugged me with questions as to where I was and what I was doing with Chris the whole night. So as naive as I was I told them we went to a picnic and while studying we both got asleep. But as cruel they were, they turned it to tease me all day. And obviously, this day had to be the only day where Chris had calculus test so I got to have lunch in the cafeteria instead of spending time with him in our hiding place. And hence here we are, in middle of an unnecessary intervention.

"So what did I miss?″ Max asked taking a bite out of his pizza.

"It's that the nerd and Pax..." I stopped them before they can make this more idiotic than it already is.

"You missed nothing. Chris and I just studied all night and later we got asleep, accidentally of course." Max looked at me and then looked at them.

"And that would be where?″ He grinned, giving us a sneak peek of his perfect white teeth.

"In the forest." As soon as I spoke he started to laugh like it was the best joke he ever heard.

Glaring I stood up and slapped his head to stop laughing. Patting his head he smirked, "So I assume you've got this to your new level?"

That did it. The harsh reality that I was supposed to play him, not the other way around. Last night I enjoyed so much that it made my mind blank. I wasn't supposed to depend on Chris to make me cheer up. He was my friend but last night looked more than that. And the almost kiss was a sign that I should stop when I can. Smirking at them I nodded and with that, I was once again the player Paxton Rivera everyone knows and fears.

Unkown POV

##PaxtonBitch

##PaxtonBitch

Paxton Rivera was spotted at the Central Park at night and she never came back from there. But in the morning she and Chris Wallace were seen walking hurriedly to go somewhere. So it's still fishy as to what they were doing in a forest last at night. Unfortunately, we didn't get a photo but we will be back with more news and hopefully photos. And good news for you guys, that it'll be only two weeks after you can spread the photos we delivered. So stay tuned and enjoy.

Until then-

XOXO.