Chapter twenty eight

Hayley's POV

"Do I have to go?" I tug on the sleeves of my sweater and shuffle my feet on the lavender carpet. "Yes you do. It's your homecoming dance, your last. Don't you want to spend your last moments in high school with your friends before graduation?" She asks as she skims my closet. "Well yeah but-" She cuts me off while pulling out a dress. "No buts Hayley. This is the one night your father and I just might let you fool around and get away with it." Her eyebrows bob up and down as she smiles wickedly at me. My eyebrows scrunch as I shake my head. "It was worth a try."

"Okay I'll make you a deal. If you go to the homecoming dance, then your father and I will excuse you from your alpha duties." At this, my head shoots up. Her offer sparks my interest as I start to ponder on whether I should go or not. "For how long exactly?" I ask as I comically stroke my chin. Mother chuckles at my 'dazzling humor'. "I would tell you as long you want but that's not true. How about," She tucks her hair behind her ear and twists her wedding ring around her finger in thought. She paces around the room but comes to a halt at her third turn. "Four years. You've always talked about wanting to travel and go to college. I assume that's more than enough time to 'discover the inner depths of yourself'' or whatever it is your generation is into." She says in a British accent as her hands fly around in no particular order. I eagerly nod my head as my hands clap together. "Thank you mum!" I yell excitedly and tackle her in a hug. Her hand strokes my hair as she chuckles at my joyful state.

Pulling away, I turn and walk to my closet, beginning my search for a dress. "And by the way," mother speaks up from the door way, her head sticking out from the door frame, "you should fix your hair. The hints of green and pink just don't do you justice." I groan out loud and stretch out a curl, only to find the tips still coated in paint. I thought I washed it all out yesterday night. "Well, clearly not." I roll my eyes at Sereana as my hands skim through the different material end dresses. Why am I going through with this again?

***

"Guys, I need help." I march into Claire's room and plop onto her bean bag chair, "I don't know what to do with this."I gesture to my multicolored hair as I sigh. "Yeah you do. It looks you're competing with the joker go see who has the most green in their hair." Claire walks out from her bathroom in a pink high-low dress.she twirls twice in front of Tiff, Anna and I. "Don't worry Hails, me and Claire are dying our hair in an hour. I'm sure a little color could fix it." Her head turns to where Claire has been standing before she speaks. "Go with the first option. Pink looks too... cute."

"What exactly do you mean by 'a little color'?" My brows scrunch as I eye Tiffany carefully. She shrugs and walks over to Claire's vanity. "Highlights, bleach." I stand at the mention of bleach. There's no way in hell that I'm bleaching my hair. "No way. I am not changing my hair color. Can we just dye the colored parts dark brown like the rest of it?" My arms cross as I stare at everyone. Anna has her nose buried in a book, Tiffany is trying on different lipstick shades and Claire is staring at her dress through the mirror.

"You don't always have to play it safe you know. You're eighteen Hayley, you're practically an adult." Claire slips of her heels and walks to me, "Besides, you'd look good with ombré hair." She twirls one of my curls around her finger but I slap it away. "Fine," I sigh out loud, "only the tips, right?" my eyes  zero in on my hair through the reflection. It has grown a lot since I last cut it. It now reaches my mid back area when natural but stretches to my waist when straight. At least one goal was achieved from last year.

"While you guys do that, I'll head back to school for a last minute check." Anna rises from her position on Tiff's bed. I still feel guilty from yesterday, the paint that was supposed to be used on the banners was wasted when it poured on me and Christopher... Great, now I feel even worse. How am I supposed to face him now after what he said?