Chapter twenty six

Hayley's POV

A few months later...

I hurriedly sprint down the steps, hoping and praying with all my might that I won't fall down. "No running in the house!" Mother yells after me once I enter the kitchen. I smile sweetly at her while grabbing a small yoghurt cup.

"And," father leans in from behind mother and kisses her on the cheek, "no yelling in the house." His facial expression morphs into one of seriousness for a tad bit before grinning. Mother raises an eyebrow as she turns in father's arms, now facing him squarely. "Since when are you 'oh so serious on house rules' ? Father raises his index finger and flicks mother's nose, knowing perfectly well how much it irritates her. "Since you decided inviting two more crazy teenagers to live in the house would be a good idea." Her eyes role but she still smiles at him nonetheless.

"Actually three, Anna's moving in today after school." Reagan butts in on mother and father's little moment. As it turns out, Anna and Reagan are mates and yet, it took the little bugger to tell us the news on New Year's Eve, three whole months. At first it was awkward getting her parents to let her move into the pack house but when they had a small chat with father, they simply permitted it as if it wasn't a big deal. According to what I got from the conversation, her parents were some sort of helpers to our pack, even though they are humans.

I grab a granola bar and head for the door, but suddenly get stopped by mother. "Is that all your having for breakfast?" Mother stares pointedly at me as I try and shy away from her questioning stare. I open my mouth to voice my overly practiced excuses but Reagan cuts me off. "It's fine mum. Let her take it at her own pace," he turns to me and gives a slight smile, "one day at a time." I mentally thank him and turn back to face mother. "I promise I'll eat more. I'm just running late today morning." She steps out of father's embrace and walks to me. "That's because you wasted to much time on your hair today." She chuckles slightly and puts the chunk of hair over my shoulder behind my back.

"How was I supposed to know it would take that long to straighten?" I question in defense and raise my arms. "Maybe because it actually grew longer since you last cut it." She walks back to the stove and flips the pancakes that I assume are for father. I dismiss it by the wave of my hand and turn to leave the house. Mother yells goodbye, much to father's dismay and wishes me luck on my paper. Today's the last day of the SAT examination and so far, they've been okay.

Pulling up to the school parking lot, I'm immediately faced with the only spot remaining, that just happens to be next to Christopher's car. I've been trying my hardest to avoid him most of the time and I must say, it's been going well. For the first time, the universe has been on my side with my wishes.

Stepping out of the car, I toss my bag onto my shoulder and begin to make my way onto my last days of mental torture from this school. The fact that we all have to do algebra in order to pass still bothers me. In what word would I need to solve x in a dance routine or even when running a pack. I mentally role my eyes but nonetheless try and keep a positive attitude. It wouldn't hurt to try and end my last moments in high school with a smile.

***

The gymnasium door slams shut, bringing me out of my little bubble as I glance from the book I am reading, onto the clock on the wall.  3:45. I have been waiting for precisely 37 minutes for the homecoming dance committee to assemble the meeting. Sighing, I place my book back into my bag and making my way down the the bleachers, not wanting to make eye contact with the people that arrived, knowing I'll dread it.

I tuck my hair behind my ear as I walk past the group I'm so desperately trying to avoid, until a voice calls out my name." Hayley, where you going?" My eyes shut tightly as I internally cringe. Great, just what I needed, attention. I turn back and give Anna a shy smile. "I was," I clear my throat as my mind searches for a good excuse that'll get me out of this situation. "I was just going to head home. I'm feeling awfully tired today, especially after that chemistry practical." I point to the door behind me with my thumb as I begin to walk backwards, before turning. "Uh, you're not going anywhere. If I'm missing date night with Carson to plan this then so are you." Tiffany cuts in just as I was about to make my sweet escape. Her and Carson found out they were mates at mine and Reagan's eighteen birthday party. Long story short, Carson got mad when Tiffany made out with some random guy and ended up confessing his feelings , right before he knocked the poor guy out with one punch.

 Long story short, Carson got mad when Tiffany made out with some random guy and ended up confessing his feelings , right before he knocked the poor guy out with one punch

(Picture of Anna)

I mumble profanities under my breath and walk back to the group of people. Each step I take heightens the irresistible scent flooding through my nostrils. The smell of espresso clouds my brain as I almost lose my sense of reality. I feel his intense stare burn the side of my face as I stand a few steps away from me.

My chest aches as my wolf yearns for her mate, even though he put us through that much pain. His presence so close yet so far from my reach. I remind my self to block out that part out of my system as I zero in on what Anna was saying. "Claire, Molly, Zack and James, you will be in charge of the lighting and sound system." She ticks what I presume is a check list on her clipboard. She recently got elected as president of the home coming committee. In my opinion, she would make an awesome student body president if she joined the school earlier. Her commanding ora shines greatly, even when she doesn't intend to. Making her the perfect match for Reagan. "Hayley, Matt, Daniel and Christopher, you will be in charge of hallway decor. Macy, Ryan, Ashley, Nina, Tristan and I will be handling the main decor. Everyone else will be in charge of electing this year's homecoming king and queen." She looks up from her turquoise clipboar, her grayish green orbs assessing everyone to see if they're okay with everything. Once her eyes meet mine, she gives me an apologetic smile. I shrug and return one before turning and leaving to the supplies closet right outside the gymnasium.

AN
Hello lovelies. Sorry if my other author's note was... unreadable. I'm still trying to figure the problem out myself.

I would've added more content to the chapter but I feel like it has enough information for now. It's more of an update on Hayley's life since her birthday party.

That's all I have to say for now so, until then my lovelies ✌🏾️💕