New Year, New Me

New Year, New Me 

One Year Later

Happy New Year. It's been a year since they let me out and I still didn't do shit in my life. Thirty-five years old and still nothing. Fucking pathetic. Keisha thought to herself while lying on her bed staring at the ceiling. She turned on her side as thoughts of that unforgettable day came flooding in.

Another Wednesday morning at RedCorp Investments. Keisha was running late again, hopefully her best friend and her VP, Layla, won't get upset that she's late. Besides it's their company everyone can wait, it's not like they don't have other work to get to before the meeting. As Keisha walked inside the building, everything seemed hectic. As she got to the 22nd floor, there were papers everywhere and everybody looked as if they were on fast forward. When she spotted Layla and saw her moving three times as fast as everyone else, she knew something was wrong.

"Layla, what the hell is going on?" Keisha asked as if she was about to have a panic attack.

"Uh let's just say that if these files aren't shredded or burned in the next ten minutes everyone here is going to jail for a long time." Layla shook uncontrollably trying to light the papers on fire.

"Why would we go to jail?" Keisha asked puzzled.

Layla ignored her question as she continued trying to light the files. Her fingers felt numb as she continued flicking the switch. When a blaze came about her face lit up with glee.

"Layla answer me. Why would we go to jail?"

"Well, not we anymore. Just you. The FBI now have proof that you embezzled 70 million dollars from our clients."

"No, I didn't. What are you talking about?"

Layla shook her head, "Darling are you really that dense? These past 5 years, me and some of the other workers got tired of our stupid salary and decided to take matters into our own hands. Long story short, we took that--actually let me rephrase that we earned that 70 million dollars. However, we got on the radar of the FBI and now they are coming in about 5 minutes. That's why I burned those files, but kept the ones with your name on it."

"Wait what? I wasn't part of this damn scheme!" Keisha exclaimed.

"Now, now how do you think we were able to get access to the files. We needed your name madame president. So all those files over there has your name on it giving us access and permission to go through this procedure. And there are too many files to burn or shred, besides the FBI is coming in about 3 minutes now."

"I thought you were my best friend Layla. Why woud you do this to me?"

"Ever heard of acting? Plus, we needed someone to take the blame. Why not let it be our president? And my pretty little self wouldn't do good in prison, but your naive ass would grow some balls in a jail cell."

Then there was a knock at the door. Both girls turned around and saw it was FBI. "Well, that's my cue to get the hell out of here. You're only 27, you'll get somewhere in life." Layla walked towards the door and pointed at Keisha and said, "That's Keisha Brown." The men charged in the office and handcuffed Keisha.

"Keisha Brown, you are under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. Everything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you can't afford one, one will be appointed to you. Do you understand these rights that have been read to you?"

As Keisha was escorted to the precinct her life flashed in front of her. She began crying her eyes out as she was escorted into the interrogation room. After a few hours of interrogation only two detectives didn't think she was capable of this scheme. However two wasn't a good enough number. They locked her up for two months awaiting her trial. She was given 10 years to life because there wasn't enough evidence to prove her guilty. She was stuck in that cell with Lauren for 7 years until she got out for good behavior.