Chapter 7 Chief Problems

A S T R I D

I woke up to the feeling of nothingness beside me. I rubbed my eyes and feel the sunlight hit directly into my eyes.

"Oh my..." I groaned a bit irritated. I got up and stretched my arms, feeling my tummy rumble a bit.
"Better grab something to eat" I whispered and got ready.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey Valka, good morning. Have you seen Hiccup today?"
"He got up early for chief duties" She smiles as she chops slices of meat. Maybe its for Cloudjumper.

I say goodbye as I come out to be greeted by Stormfly.

"Hey girl, you're not doing anything today?"
She gives me one huge lick on the face before taking off.
"Or I suppose you do" I mumble.

I decide to walk towards the Great Hall only to hear screams getting closer as I walked towards the hall.

"YOU WILL NEVER BE A GREAT CHIEF"
"YEAH?! WELL I DON'T NEED YOUR OPINION!"

Hiccup.

I ran towards the Great Hall to see tables turned, cups and broken plates. Then I see people huddled over something. I ran over and pushed when I realized that Snotlout and Hiccup were inches away from each other, fists up and eyes glaring at each other.

"Hey" I say.
"Stay out of this" Snotlout turns to me angrily and I stepped back. I've never seen Snotlout this aggressive towards anybody. Sure he's naturally short tempered, but nothing like this.
"Watch your mouth" Hiccup spat.
"Why would I? Just because you're the chief soon doesn't mean I have to do whatever you say"
"What's wrong with you?!" Hiccup asks frustratedly.

"Guys please, before this gets out of hand" I beg as I walk closer to them.
"Astrid, please" Hiccup says softly stopping me in my tracks.
"What happened anyway?"
"Well Mr. Loverboy here apparently can't handle being chief so I said the truth"
"I can handle this! I just need you guys to believe in me" Hiccup says angrily.
"You CAN'T multitask and that's a really important skill for a chief to have" Snotlout spat.
"You don't have your priorities straight, you can't take on the people's requests, and I'm sure I'm a better fighter than you" Snotlout adds.

"Snoutlout that's enough! What's gotten into you?!" I yelled.
"He's probably jealous I'm becoming chief and he isnt"
"LIAR!" Snotlout snapped and jumoed on Hiccup. Next thing I knew, fists flew.

"GUYS!" I yelled trying to stop them, pulling Hiccup's arm.
"HICCUP PLEASE! DEAL WITH THIS LIKE A CHIEF WOULD! A CHIEF WOULD NEVER DEAL WITH PROBLEMS THIS WAY"

"STAY AWAY ASTRID"

"THIS ISN'T THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN SOLVE THIS!"

"YES IT IS!" Hiccup says pinning Snotlout to the ground.

"NO IT'S NOT! IF THIS IS YOUR WAY OF SOLVING THINGS, THEN YOU REALLY AREN'T CUT OUT TO BE A-"

Then smack. I laid on the floor and looked up in horror at Hiccup. He looked down at me hurt. He pushed me. He. Pushed. Me.

"You're right. I'm not cut out to be a chief" He says, Snotlout with his nose bleeding standing behind him. Ruffnut and Tuffnut holding him up.

"Hiccup, I didn'-"
"Yes you did Astrid. I heard it loud and clear. You don't believe in me"
I quickly got up and tried to hug him but he avoided me.
"Hiccup, please..."
"You guys don't think I can do this?" He asks around.

I look around the people to see their shocked faces, having this the first time they saw Hiccup being so, brutal.

"Hiccup..." I say again but he shook his head.
"If you guys don't believe in me, why should I waste my time here?" He says.
"You guys don't need me" He says angrily then storming out the doors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I breathed heavily as I tried to calm myself down.

I turned to Snotlout.

"WHAT HAPPENED?!" I asked him.
"Nothing! Hiccup was just being lectured as usual and I guess he just got stressed about it!" He says sitting down, pinching his nose.

"This isn't like him. You MUST'VE said something" I insisted.

"He told Hiccup, 'If you can't handle being a great chief like your dad, then why don't you give up?'" Ruffnut says softly.

"Why would you say that?! Hiccup's doing his best!" I snarled.

"But his best isn't good enough!"

"HE'LL GET BETTER!"

"WHEN?!"

"Eventually. Hiccup needed us to encourage him, to motivate him, not bring him down" I said and they got quiet.

"He didn't deserve this. Sure he isn't still getting a grasp of his responsibilities, but remember how many times he has protected the village. And that's good enough for me" I said looking at Snotlout angrily.

"We need to find him" Ruffnut says.

"No, he needs to cool down" I say as I turned away.

"I hope you're happy Snotlout" I said before leaving the Hall.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

You guys mad? Lol. I really am sorry about my absence. Honestly, I just forgot how much I loved writing this book and got lost for a while in life. I couldn't find motivation, but I found it now. So yeah, that's what matters right?

Love you guys.

-burningfiree