I sat bolt upright, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head. ‘He didn’t!’

                Dex nodded solemnly. ‘He did.’

                ‘I’ll kill him…’ I muttered.

                Dex cleared his throat embarrassedly. ‘Well… We were all watching and so when he kissed you, and you started struggling against him but he wouldn’t let you go, I guess I sort of got angry cos I got up and went over there and pulled him off you and punched him.’

                ‘You punched him?’

                ‘Yeah.’

                ‘Where?’

                ‘Right in his face.’

                ‘I think you might be my hero.’

                ‘Really?’ He blinked at me again. ‘I was worried about telling you. I thought you might be mad.’

                ‘I am mad, but not at you.’

                ‘Oh. Okay. Good. Anyway, I guess I got him pretty good because he kind of stumbled backwards holding his jaw and looking shocked and you looked pretty shocked as well and I just stood there like daring him to do it again. But instead he just started yelling again, something about how I’m clearly a barbarian and what do you think you’re doing with me and can’t you see you’d be better off with him, etc. And you were kind of stumbling over your words, trying to get one in edgeways, but he wouldn’t shut up, and then you started to get upset so I just brought you home.’

                I peered up at him through the haze of my hangover, for some reason extremely touched. I always get emotional when I’m hungover. ‘You brought me home?’ I asked.

                He nodded. ‘I did.’

                ‘And I just went to sleep?’

                He laughed again. ‘Oh gosh no. You were quite entertaining. You danced the whole way home and by the time we got here you seemed to have forgotten all about Gary and were intent on being as amusing as possible. I was laughing at you and you kept being funnier and funnier, and I figured I couldn’t trust you to be by yourself at home so I brought you here instead. You wanted to make cupcakes and you started digging things out of the kitchen so I just followed you around pretending to help but really I was putting things away. And you got very confused because you thought you had gotten the flour out already but it was in the cupboard. And eventually you got frustrated with that and gave up and came up here and bounced on my bed for five minutes pretending to play the guitar. Then you landed sitting down and you got very solemn and went to stand in front of my mirror and stared at yourself for five minutes, but you didn’t seem to like what you saw so I put a blanket over it and made you come to bed. Then you told me that you liked me a whole lot but you weren’t ready to have sex with me yet and I said that was okay and we could just cuddle and you seemed a little sad still so I let you be the small spoon and when I put my arms around you, you started singing.’

                I was really in mortification station now. ‘Singing?’

                ‘Yup. You know you’ve got a pretty good voice, Andie is right about you, you’re in all the wrong classes.’

                ‘What was I singing?’

                ‘Oh, that Christina Perri song, Arms?’ he said, like he was asking if I knew it. Of course I knew it. Apparently I’d been singing it. ‘You kept singing that one lyric over and over again, “You put your arms around me, and I believe, that it’s easier for you to let me go”. So I told you I wasn’t going to let you go and then you fell asleep.’

                I sat up again, looking at him very intently. ‘I don’t even know where to begin,’ I said honestly. ‘I’m so, so sorry. I can’t believe I fucked up our first date so badly. If you want me to leave and never come back I’ll totally understand-’

                Dexter cut me off by shaking his head, a weird expression on his face. Like halfway between confused and annoyed.

                ‘Alex, I’m going to ask you to be my boyfriend,’ he said, like he was explaining something to a six year old. ‘Not right now, because I know you’re not ready to be in a relationship again yet, but soon. You need to stop worrying that I’m going to freak out over something you say or do and leave you, because it’s not going to happen.’

                I gulped. My head was swimming. ‘Okay,’ I said hoarsely.

                ‘And another thing,’ he added, now that he was on a roll. ‘Whatever fucked up issues you’ve got with your body and your appearance, they need to go as well. I’m getting the feeling that Gary never told you how sexy or hot or beautiful you are, which was a dick move, by the way, considering he was your boyfriend, and that means you haven’t heard it in about two years, and I get that that’s probably had an effect, but I’m going to tell you every day so you need to chill with the whole thinking I’m hotter than you, because I’m not, and also with the creepy staring sadly into the mirror thing because the mirror is your friend.’

                I nodded again. ‘Okay.’

                ‘Okay. Good. Now do you think you’re going to throw up at any point in the near future?’

                I shook my head. I was actually feeling immeasurably better. ‘No.’

                ‘Good,’ he said again, and kissed me.

-

-

-

-

-

A/N: Vot and comment! ^.^