Chapter 2 (Settling In)

Start from the beginning

            "Back off, Elliot." Johanna says, shoving Elliot out of the way. "He takes some getting used to." She says to me. "I'm Johanna, it's nice to finally meet you. Arabella has told us a lot about you. Honestly, you two are the cutest couple I've ever seen. There's so much love and loyalty! It's so inspiring!" I take a step back as the large grin on her face begins to make me feel uncomfortable.

            "Look, he can't wait to get away from you." Elliot says. "Stop being a weird fangirl and leave him alone."

            "Elliot, Jo, can you both meet me in my room?" Arabella asks. "I want to talk to the two of you alone for a minute."

            "Sure, whatever." Elliot sighs. "Come on Jo."

            Once Arabella's friends are out of sight, she turns to me and takes my hands in hers as she looks up at me with apologetic eyes.

            "I'm so sorry about them." She says. "I had no idea they were planning to come over today. They've just been dying to meet you." I want to tell her to get rid of them, but I don't want to seem rude towards her friends. I'd like to have her all to myself, but given she has a life out here and I don't, that's impossible. I have to somehow figure out a way to fit into it.

            "They're not going to leave until they get to know you a little." Arabella explains. "So how about you start making some lunch? I'll be back in a minute to help. Okay?"

            "Okay." I manage to agree. She reaches up to give me a quick kiss before rushing off to our room.

*Arabella*

            I meet Elliot and Johanna in my room and shut the door behind me. Elliot sits on the edge of the bed and runs his hand along the sheets.

            "So this is where the magic happens." He says with a smile as he waggles his eyebrows.

            "Gross, Elliot." I frown. "Stop it."

            "How have things been since he's been back?" Johanna asks. "I know you've been waiting so long for this."

            "Before we get to that, I want the keys you made." I hold out my hand expectantly. I can only imagine one of them barging into my apartment and walking in on something, just like my dad did earlier this morning. I shiver at the thought and push it out of my mind.

            "But..." Elliot says as he stands from the bed, a frown on his face. "What if there's an emergency? How will I get in?"

            "Elliot, I love you and I love that you're always looking out for me. But Derek is back and can look after me just fine, I promise."

            "Here." Johanna says, placing her key in the palm of my hand. "Elliot got here before me and let me in, so I've never actually used it anyway."

            "Hand it over, Elliot." He opens his mouth as if to protest more, but closes it as he changes his mind. He pulls the key from his pocket and slowly places it in my hand. "Thank you." I put the spare keys in my nightstand for safe keeping, knowing Elliot would probably pick pocket me before leaving.

"Can we go now?" Elliot asks. "We want to get to know your boyfriend."

"Before you do that, you have to remember that Derek isn't like your average guy." I warn them. "He can be blunt and mean sometimes, and given that he's a little on edge right now, all of that may be amplified. He doesn't like to be touched and perkiness isn't exactly appealing to him. Elliot, I know how you are around attractive guys, so hands off. I will not feel bad if he punches you on reflex. Johanna, if you want to get to know him at all, you'll have to dial back on being so bubbly. Okay?"