Chapter 39: Pack Woes

Začít od začátku

Evan yipped at us which made her smile. She jumped around then hauled off into the trees with her brother behind her; winding and weaving through the forest as she ran out her anxiety.

We would keep busy, I assured her that if we kept busy that it would make the time go faster. There was already a ton to do anyways for the pack that we really needed to get a move on. She didn't disagree, but she still wasn't happy about not being able to link our mate.

"Don't remind me..." I grumbled inwardly to her. Thinking about it only made it worse.

We got to the packhouse right as Jake was trotted up. He dipped his head then yipped at us through the pile of clothes he had in his mouth. I chuckled inwardly then shifted to my skin; quickly throwing on my dress and smoothing my hair out.

"Morning Char," Jake said.

"Hey Jake, how's it going?"

He shrugged. "It's alright, warriors are good."

"What's wrong Jake?" I asked as I walked closer to him while Evan threw on some clothes.

Jake shook his head. "Billy–he's just, I don't know he's like this weird uncle I've never had. My beast has grown attached to him. He doesn't like it."

"I know," I replied. "Let's just not think about it right now, ok?"

He nodded then followed me into the pack house where Evan threw an arm around my shoulder, he pulled me close and kissed my hair, his beast trying to calm mine down. She did, but only slightly. She was ancy. She could feel something coming, something that filled her with dread, but she just didn't know what.

"Morning," Sam said as we walked into the kitchen. She rubbed my cheek then nodded her chin back towards the long table where our cabinet was gathering. "We thought we could do the meeting over coffee and breakfast?"

"That's a great idea," I replied. "How is everyone?"

"Good," she replied while we walked towards the kitchen. "Lot's to do."

"I know," I replied, my voice tired at the thought of her words. "We'll get it done."

"Coffee Char?" Lyanna asked as she walked to me with a cup extended.

"Dear God you are a saint Lyanna," I replied before I rubbed my cheek against hers.

"Ha!" Evan scoffed out, "Not quite."

Lyanna growled lowly at Evan while I took a sip of my coffee. Evan just innocently shrugged next to Jake who gave Lyanna an apologetic smile.

"Come on." I nudged her playfully then started to walk towards the long table where wolves were happily chatting over coffee and a few pans of coffee cake that had been set out.

"Luna," Justin said as he stood, dipping his head with a slight tilt. I smiled at him softly as echoes of the word 'Luna' bounced around the room as the wolves around the table stood and greeted me.

"Morning Justin, good morning everyone," I replied as I walked around to sit, at the head of the table where there was space next to me on my bench–space for Ethan. My heart twisted at the sight, a twist that pushed back quickly as I took another sip of coffee.

Evan slid in next to me and nudged me with a reassuring smile as Lyanna took a seat on his right. "Do you want something to eat?"

"I can get it," I replied as the chatter began to pick up. I pulled a pan to me and cut out a square of the cinnamon coffee cake that had some kind of crumble on top; my beast eyed it approvingly, she was more than happy to eat our emotions. "Evan? Lyanna?"