Chapter One Bela's New Beginning

'It was like a faded dream. I had no recollection of the car accident that killed my parents. I was placed in the foster system until it was arranged for me to live with my grandfather, Gerard Harrison when I was 17. The day we left the foster home, was nearing the anniversary of Mom and Dad's death; a new life, new house, and a new school all in one year. It was only the beginning of my new life. My name is Bela Grayson, I'm a witch and this is my story...' "Bela, I haven't seen you since Rose was in the hospital with you. You look so much like her." Gerard said "Hi.. I heard a lot about you when I was growing up. My mom always talked about how amazing you were." I said "Your mother was a kind and loving woman, like your grandmother. Now, let's get you settled in." Gerard said "This is a beautiful house..." I said "I built it with my own two hands. And I proposed to your grandmother on that very porch swing out front." Gerard said "That's a beautiful story, Grandpa Gerard." I said "Your grandmother thought so too. So, tell me about yourself, Bela. You have a boyfriend?" Gerard asked "No, I'm not seeing anyone, Grandpa Gerard." I said "A lovely young woman like yourself isn't tied down? You would think that boys would be lined up to date someone like you." Gerard said "Grandpa Gerard, I have plenty of time for boys, right now, I just want to get through my junior year at a new school." I said 'The next day I woke up and looked out the window toward the neighbor's house, seeing a boy, around my age, constantly waving his hands around, I had then seen flashes of light and bits and pieces of stuff that hasn't yet occurred...' "Grandpa Gerard, do you know anything about our neighbors?" I asked "All I know is that your grandmother Valerie was close friends with Abigayle, the mother of the man, she lives with him, her daughter-in-law and her grandson. Like myself, she's widowed." Gerard said "I didn't know that you and Grandma Valerie were so chummy with the neighbors." I said "Grandma Valerie was chummy with the neighbors. I never met them. The day she died, they never said a word to me at her funeral." Gerard said "You never got to know your own neighbors? I never had neighbors since I lived with my parents. I think we should arrange a dinner party and invite the neighbors so you can get to know them." I said "Don't worry about Grandpa being shut out from his neighbors, Bela. Just worry about getting yourself ready for school." Gerard said 'I had left the house, my backpack over my shoulder, a bus pulls up in front of the house and I approach it, I turn to look over my shoulder seeing a raven on the neighbor's mailbox as I speed toward the bus, and taking my seat. The curious murmurs of students as I walk down the aisle sitting beside a girl gesturing for me to sit...' "So, you're the new girl? What are you doing staying in Old Man Harrison's house? I hear he's into demonized cult stuff and keeps to himself. He never talks to anyone and he thinks he talks to his late wife. The mayor's been talking about locking that lunatic away." She said "That lunatic you're talking about is my grandfather." I said "I didn't know he had a granddaughter. I'm so sorry. I had no idea who you were." She said "I didn't know people thought poorly of him. I only saw him when I was a baby, and I moved here a few days ago, after my parents were killed in a car accident months ago." I said "I'm sorry to hear that. I'm Tara O'Neil." She said "I'm Bela Grayson. Nice to meet you." I said "Don't look now, but Steve Maxwell is giving you the eye." Tara said "Steve Maxwell?" I repeated "The cutest guy in Summerbrooke High School." Tara said "Does he know that I'm the town lunatic's granddaughter?" I asked quietly "Tara, who's your cute new friend?" Steve asked "Lillith Richards." I lied "Steve Maxwell, you're new so you aren't aware that I'm somewhat of a god around here. So, if you ever want to go out, the answer will be yes." Steve said taking his seat "Lillith Richards?" Tara asked "I'm not telling him who I really am." I said nervously through my teeth "Good idea; keep a low profile." Tara said giggling softly 'I looked behind me seeing the boy from next door it was as if he was looking right through me, I had then slid deeper into the seat, as he tapped my shoulder, I jump suddenly...' "You're my new neighbor. I saw you looking at me through your window this morning." The boy said "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to spy on you." I said "Don't apologize, I have to say that I enjoyed you watching me." He said "Nice to meet you..." I paused "Dorian Ravencroft." The boy said "I'm Bela Grayson." I said "Bela Grayson... You're the daughter of Kyle and Rose Grayson, are you not?" Dorian asked "How do you know my parents?" I asked "Your parents were the most powerful sorcerer and witch who ever lived." Dorian said softly "You fraternizing with my girl, Ravencroft?" Steve said grabbing Dorian by the scruff of his neck "Leave him alone!" I said coldly "Stay out of this, sweetheart. This doesn't concern you." Steve said, shoving me back into the seat 'I closed my eyes. I was consumed by fear and uncontrollable rage. I breathe in slowly and deeply. I open my eyes, which had turned pure white, I then felt tingling throughout my body, and enhancing in my hands, lightning and a white ball of energy shot from my hands, hitting Steve in the eyes, making him release Dorian. I then regain my sight, gasping hard...' "What the hell was that?" Tara asked "I don't know. Dorian, are you okay?" I asked peering in the seat behind us "What happened? I can't see anything..." Steve said a worried tone in his voice "I blinded a student..." I said "He'll be fine in a few weeks or so. The blindness is temporary." Dorian said "What a relief. For a minute, I thought I permanantly damaged his eyes." I said "If you did, he deserved what you did to him." Dorian said "Steve didn't hurt you, did he?" I asked "I'll be fine." Dorian said "I don't know what girl would ever be interested in someone like him." I said "You would be the first girl at Summerbrooke not to fall under Steve Maxwell's seductive spell." Dorian said "He's a creep. I don't know what they could possibly see in him." I said "They love his perfectly chiseled jawline and his rock hard body." Dorian said "I still don't know how I could have caused him to lose his sight. I couldn't see what I was doing." I said "You unlocked your powers for a brief period to come to my aid." Dorian said "What powers? Dorian, what are you talking about?" I asked "Your grandfather never told you..." Dorian said 'I had remained silent the rest of the bus ride, I then follow Tara and Dorian to the auditorium for orientation. I saw a couple of boys guiding Steve from the auditorium, class to class and to the bus at the end of the day, which had come faster than I had expected. Dorian and I had walked a separate way towards our homes. I didn't know how I was going to tell my grandfather that on my first day of school that I attacked and blinded a student...'