Chapter One: The Day Everything Changed

I walked the same route to work through Woodlands Creek next to Central Park at 8:30 am. The morning stroll doubles as a time to think and relax. I'm quite dull looking at a size eight, long black wavy hair almost down to my rear with dark blue eyes, plump pink lips an oval shaped face with light brown skin. Sometimes I would just stare at the tag with my name "Ava James" on it and get lost in thought wondering who she is.

The woods are so peaceful. I pick up on a connection to the earth here, the smell of the trees reminds me of pine leaves, crunching beneath my feet as I walk. Birds are chirping some distance away but my favorite thing about the woods is the beautiful gray wolf with green eyes. He's around most days following me, but not in a threatening way. It appears to be walking me to and from work. I've stared into its green eyes so many times trying to guess if the person in there is someone I might have crossed paths with, but I've never seen those eyes outside of these woods. I would have sensed them anywhere by now, of that I am certain.

I didn't understand who I was, always felt like there was something in me wanting to be known but I could never completely sense what. I just knew if I wanted to, I could live many centuries finding out. Until then, I enjoyed working at Blue Starr. It's a nice small bar and restaurant a few blocks away from where I live with my mother Ariana, father Kai, my sister Aaliyah and twin brothers Addison and August. Now you're probably wondering what's with all the A names? Well both my grandparents had names beginning with A's, so they decided to give their children the same. My mother liked this tradition, so she carried it forward with her kids.

While busy walking and my mind wondering, I hear a twig snap behind me. I whip around looking side to side and lift my eyes up into the treetops searching. I could see nothing. I was disappointed my wolf didn't show today. I arrive at work, go into the locker room taking off my light navy blue sweater, nothing fancy. We were allowed to wear what we want to work, provided they were dark colors and no jeans or sneakers. I wear the same clothes to work every day; navy blue t-shirt or my sweater when the weather is cold, plain black trousers and black shoes. I bought two of everything so I have an extra work outfit.

I clock in my time sheet and grab a white apron tying it around my hips. It has a blue stitched logo with a pocket for my pen and food docket pad. I spot Una Smith, my best friend who's twenty-one. She's turning on all the coffee machines for the customers who stop in, on their way to work. Looking up she spots me walking quickly over with a huge smile on her stunning face. She's wearing the same work uniform as me. We both decided to wear the same uniform when we first started working here two years ago. She's a bit shorter than me but more model curvy. Her hair is blonde and pin straight but today she has it tied up in a bun. She's got the warmest brown eyes I've ever seen with bee-sting-shape lips and a light skin complexion.

"Ava, are you off of work tomorrow?" Una wonders, clapping her hands together practically bouncing on her feet as I smile.

"Why Una, why must I be available tomorrow?" I reply leaning on the bar counter.

"Tobias got us tickets to see The Legends play at the Concert Hall in SoHo" Una adds with her eyes wide open with excitement now.

"Your brother is the best but since he's in the band, it's an easy win," I tease with a smile. "Yeah right," Una chuckles.

"Well, I could ask Paul to cover for me."

"Oh, he will if those puppy eyes he's always giving you is anything to go by" Una adds with a raised brow and a smile.

"Stop it. He does not, but I'll ask, when he comes in for his shift," I answer while opening the dishwasher, taking out the tray of clean cups and putting them beside the coffee machines.