Chapter 4

Armaan was shredding documents, it was part of his job and he liked it. It was one of the only times he could be alone with his thoughts. Naturally he was running through a list of tasks to get done in his head, at this rate he was going to be late home to dinner. As his boss passed him more files to shred he wondered when his day was going to end. Suddenly he saw some documents with Francine Chen as their title, knowing that Frankie was called Francine and her last name being Chen he was a little concerned.

“Caroline? Is this client still a client?” he asked his boss looking at Frankie’s name.

“To my knowledge she’s no longer with us,” Caroline responded looking at him strangely.

“Oh, I just think I might know her that’s all. She’s a friend of mine.”

“Oh. Well, are you going to look at her files?” she asked, looking at the documents in his hand. With one look he paced them through the shredder and soon it was gone.

“Probably a wise decision,” he replied, his boss nodded.

“It’s always somewhat awkward to know things about people when they don’t want you to.”

“People should tell on their own terms,” Caroline replied.

“She would probably never forgive me ig that’s the case.”

“You just friends with this girl?”

“At the moment…”

“Ah, I understand completely. Your friends but you want to be more than that.”

“Yes and breaching her trust is the first step to losing that friendship.”

“You’re a wise kid Armaan, but get back to work because I’m sure you would like to go home as soon as possible,” she replied.

“Yeah, I’ll try, thanks Caroline.”

***

”So how was work?” Frankie asked Armaan.

“Okay I guess, I’m currently cooking dinner,” he replied.

“Oh, parents not home?”

“Yeah, they went out to dinner with my sister, because they could. I was at work and was going to miss normal dinner time anyway.”

“What are you making anyway?”

“Spaghetti, with extra chilli, and lots of vegetables. I’m basically throwing it all together and hoping for the best to be honest.” He heard Frankie laugh, she had a lovely laugh short and melodic.

“Sounds delicious.”

“You could come over and try it if you like?”

“Maybe I will.”

“You will?” he replied in disbelief.

“I said maybe…” Frankie trailed off.

“Hey, something strange happened at work today.”

“Oh really.”

“I had to shred some documents, there were a couple with your name on them…”

“Did you read them?” she interjected.

“No Frankie, I didn’t. It would have been inappropriate…”

“Oh.”

“So, how about you come over and we have some oddly made food, before you go to work?” he asked.

“No, I’m not hungry anymore,” her voice had changed.

“Frankie, are you okay?”

“Yeah, yeah...no, actually no I’m not.”